Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib hot tub method?

Janssen14
Janssen14 Posts: 50
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Would hot tub method for prime rib be a good idea?

Comments

• It would work for a very small roast but it would be in the danger zone too long if it was larger.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Good thinking thanks for info.
  • I'm not sure about sous vide yet. I have tried steak done that way. I was speaking specifically about the hot tub method and IMHO 6 hours in a water bath is on the slippery side of the slope. I don't know if the circulation in sous vide equipment somehow limits bacterial growth or not.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    How does one maintain a temp. of 137º for 5 to 10 hours?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    My water bath is just a big slow cooker. I think the biggest thing I've fit in was a 3 lb top round. Put in as much water as possible so as not to overflow, and preheated to 135.When I put the meat in, the bath dropped to the high 120s, but came back in about 15 minutes. The surface of the roast should have been pasteurized in about 1/2 an hour. The charts I have indicate that the center of the roast was not to temperature for probably close to 6 hours. (I cooked it for about 32) Just the same as in the Egg, the uncut meat should have been safe to begin with, and so the long ramp up to temperature isn't a problem.

I'm reading different things. Some say that 125 F for 24 hours is safe, others 131 F for 4, assuming items only about an inch thick. I haven't done anything less than 133 F.

• That is what I find confusing. I mean the technique has been used for centuries so it must be safe. I wouldn't have any qualms about trying it and eating myself but I would like to know at what point the pasteurisation occurs and how much the circulation has to do with it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    there's no fecal bacteria in the meat....

internal temp is orrelevant as far as bacteria go
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2011
    But it could create a stew if it was on the surface no? I don't know the pasteurisation temp for meat.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tis a forum. Anyone that can answer.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    king of the link.
  • stike
    edited December 2011
    At least my answers are original and answer the question

Some day you'll post a cook you actually did, or answer a question without repeating what's already been said. Repeating one's self is one thing. You are capable only of repeating other people's answers, or worse, inferring incorrectly from them in an attempt to imply you actually know something.

You are very intelligent, that's obvious. But you confuse that intelligence with actually having practical understanding. Shame, really. One of the most active posters the forum has seen, and yet you contribute very little.

Ask a newbie, and they'd say you were helpful. But anyone with any time in country can see clearly you don't really have much to offer unless it's a question that's been asked and answered a few hundred times before. Or an LOL cat.

You wouldn't be able to answer anything if you hadn't read those repetitive answers. You are complaining about your training wheels, but would be lost without them.

Stick to bashing some poor guy who wishes you a merry christmas, or posting links to youtube. Those of us who know what we're talking about will handle the questions.