Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Calibrate Your Dome Thermometer

DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I have had my EGG for almost two years and have never calibrated the dome thermometer. Well today I noticed that during my brisket cook my dome was rock solid on 200 for over eight hours, that's not right. Got a pot of boiling water going verified with my Thermapen 212 and found that the dome thermometer was off by 80 degrees. 

I wondered why my cooks always seemed to be turbo cooks. Don't make my same mistake.
David
BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 3,351
    I'm preparing to calibrate my thermometers, based on the fact that one quit working last weekend.  I had no idea they could be off by that much!  
    But, there's no reason you couldn't hold 200F for eight hours.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • bhuggbhugg Posts: 184
    After you recognize the difference, do you adjust the actual thermometer or just remember and adjust it mentally?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    You can turn the nut on the back of the thermometer to adjust it so that you do not have to do the calculation.

Brisket came off as one of the best I have done and now the butt is on for tomorrow.
    David
  • bhuggbhugg Posts: 184
    Just calibrated mine...dead on 212'.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    edited December 2011
    After calibrating I cooked up a little Pork Butt...

After 20 hours!

It pulled really well, the best I have done so far...
    David
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394

Looks good, Dmurf!

Hmmmnnn....now you have me wondering.  I have never calibrated mine but most of my cooks have seemed to be dead on.  I wonder how far mine could be off?  :-/