Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig Vs. Woo3

Options
RichmondBGE
RichmondBGE Posts: 11
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I found an older post a few years ago discussing this topic, but I was hoping to get some new opinions on which set up people are using/have used and why. I have been back and forth, and just cannot decide between a woo3 with the woo3 extender or the adujustable rig.  I already have a BGE plate setter. The woo3 and woo3 extender just seems sooo easy to use and solidly built.  I've seen the things people have made with extra grates and bolts and bricks, but personally, I am not interested in these homeade set ups and they seem like they could be a pain.  I have already spent a lot on the grill and other accessories, so another $150 or so doesn't make that much difference to me at this point.

Comments

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    If you are going the extender route, personally I am a fan of the CI swing grate from Ceramic Grillworks.  Its completely adjustable and allows you to access your food on the main grate easily.  I have been using mine for a couple weeks and am very happy so far.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i like the rig better, with it i can pull the whole thing out easily, food and all and shut the dome, do all my flipping, then back on the egg without dome temps taking off. i also like the overall height of the rig for cooking roasts direct
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grillin_n_Chillin
    Options
    Seems like a lot of work just to flip food....I can have all my stuffed turned and swing my upper rack back in place and lid shut in under a minute.  But to each his own.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    if i have a couple dozen skin on thighs in there cooking direct at 400 on 2 layers, i have an inferno of grease fire in under a minute, i just take it out flip and put it back in
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grillin_n_Chillin
    Options
    Hey I just tried to go out to ceramicgrillworks.com but the site is down.  I contacted the guys out there and it turns out their having a hardware issue which has taken their site down.  They asked me to intervene and direct everyone interested in the 2 tier rack to checkout the videos on you tube.  Just search for cgwsales and their videos will come up.

I don't work them just doing them a favor since their local to me and a start up shop.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Hi RichmondBGE:  I'm the fella who makes the woo3 and adjustable rig.  Before the woo and rig, I fabricated, played and used several cantilever (swinging) grid systems.  I finally settled on the adjustable rig as my preferred set-up choice.  If you want to discuss the merits of each -- woo, rig and swing, feel free to email me your phone number and I'll call you.  

If folks want to swing a grid from the rig, it can be done.  Probably can do it with the woo too, just need to incorporate the rig's swing design into it. 

tom  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Grillin_n_Chillin
    Options
    Hey all the cermaicgrillworks.com site is back up and running, so if there's an interest getting the 2 tier rack you can.  Just an FYI
  • phathog03
    Options
    I looked at the rig as well but decided on the 2 tier swing rack from Ceramic Grillworks because on the convenience of cooking on different levels and getting to the bottom rack quickly without having to remove racks from the grill. For medium sized indirect cooks I use a pizza stone on the bottom rack and place the meat on the top rack instead of using my plate setter. The vertical adjustability is awesome and gives me infinite cooking setups. I routinely cook pizzas on both racks at the same time and with the top rack swung out of the way with food on it, there is no fear of the rack tipping over. It's a great invention that I wish I came up with.
  • davejames0426
    Options

I also went with the 2 tier swing away grate from cermaicgrillworks.com, I received it yesterday and used it as soon as it unopened it. I cooked a shank portion ham on the top rack and country sytle bonless ribs on the bottom rack with the platesetter.

It worked great and very much recomended............

LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • tfoutch
    Options

I love my AR!.  I use it all the time.  I can see where the swing-out might be nice, but I couldn't ask for anything more useful than my AR with the oval stone. 

TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • phathog03
    Options
    I forgot to mention when I ordered my swing rack, the guys at Ceramic Grillworks talked me into the grill gripper and I'm glad they did. The gripper makes removing and adjusting the top rack a lot easier then using a gloved hand. Especially when hot or full of leftover BBQ sauce.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    Yep...the grill gripper from BGE or equivalent is a must with the CI swing grate.  I picked one up shortly after getting the CI grate.