Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Newbie - searing steaks

alex_aalex_a Posts: 17
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I purchased a large egg 3 weeks ago and am still getting the hang of regulation temps etc. I have a basic question - what is the best way to sear a steak or tri tip?

I have the stainless grid and also purchased the cast iron one for steaks. Some recipes in this forum seem to use a cast iron grate closer to the coals than the standard cooking grids. is this necessary or can i use high heat and the regular height cast iron grid?

If I need the grid to cook right above the coal - does beg make this? I not what size do I need and where can I get it?

Thanks!

Comments

• BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Focus on internal temp of meat. The "sear" is all about the outer crust you develop with the high and direct temp on the meat surface http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

My meat is normally at room temp or warmer (using warm water), the LBGE is loaded with lump 1/2 way up fire ring, and grate is at normal height. Temp is around 600 degrees. The meat goes on for 90-120 seconds and is flipped - repeat sear on that side (looking for very brown crust to develop). If internal temp of 125 has occurred the meat is pulled and "tented" with HDAF. If not, still tent and close down Egg vents for 3-4 mins and put meat back on till temp reaches desired level. 
    Kent Madison MS
  • Getting closer to the coals does get a different result and I do use the "spider rig" you are talking about to get near the coals.

That being said, I made great steaks for 2 years before getting the spider rig and 13" cast iron and I don't always use my spider rig now that  I have it. 

You will be fine with a standard cooking grate (grid). 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This