Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Rib "Burnt Ends"

Options
JayHawkEye
JayHawkEye Posts: 196
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

Just curious if anyone has ever tried to make "burnt ends" out of boneless ribs (i.e. put some smoke on them for awhile, chop 'em up and put em in some sauce and return them to the smoker).

I haven't done it yet, but since some boneless ribs came in a chop combo pack I picked up the other day I was thinking about trying it. Am I missing something here? In my mind it seems like it could/should work. Any thoughts?

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA

Comments

• paulheels
    Options
    If you just cook them regular and sauce, they are excellent.

Paul

thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've cooked 2 kinds of "boneless ribs." 1 I get from a local market that cuts away a potion of loin pork chops and calls them "boneless babyback ribs."  They are very easy to cook, but are not fatty enough for burnt ends. They would end up just burnt. I also cook the end flap from whole spare ribs. They have enough fat that they can be cooked till crisp at the edges. I suppose that bit of meat could be sliced thin, and finished in a bath of sauce.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

Fortunately, I have never seen anything as oxy-moronic as "boneless ribs" ... how can you have a rib without a bone. Closest I've heard of here is Mc D's McRibs ... Spam without a can!

We do have a country style rib that has very little bone, it is mostly loin.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • GreenhawK
    Options
    The spares I get usually haven't been trimmed very much. I usually take the flap of meat that I trim off of the bone side of the ribs and throw it in there. It makes for a great appetizer. I have thought about trying it with the parts I trim off in making them St. Louis style, but there is way to much cartilage and stuff in there.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL