Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Boneless Rib "Burnt Ends"

JayHawkEyeJayHawkEye Posts: 170
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

Just curious if anyone has ever tried to make "burnt ends" out of boneless ribs (i.e. put some smoke on them for awhile, chop 'em up and put em in some sauce and return them to the smoker).

I haven't done it yet, but since some boneless ribs came in a chop combo pack I picked up the other day I was thinking about trying it. Am I missing something here? In my mind it seems like it could/should work. Any thoughts?

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin
XL BGE - Johnston, IA

Comments

• If you just cook them regular and sauce, they are excellent.

Paul

thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,304
    I've cooked 2 kinds of "boneless ribs." 1 I get from a local market that cuts away a potion of loin pork chops and calls them "boneless babyback ribs."  They are very easy to cook, but are not fatty enough for burnt ends. They would end up just burnt. I also cook the end flap from whole spare ribs. They have enough fat that they can be cooked till crisp at the edges. I suppose that bit of meat could be sliced thin, and finished in a bath of sauce.
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101

Fortunately, I have never seen anything as oxy-moronic as "boneless ribs" ... how can you have a rib without a bone. Closest I've heard of here is Mc D's McRibs ... Spam without a can!

We do have a country style rib that has very little bone, it is mostly loin.

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ...
    BGE Lg.
  • The spares I get usually haven't been trimmed very much. I usually take the flap of meat that I trim off of the bone side of the ribs and throw it in there. It makes for a great appetizer. I have thought about trying it with the parts I trim off in making them St. Louis style, but there is way to much cartilage and stuff in there.
    Large BGE

Decatur, AL