Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

beef stew

ricktannerricktanner Posts: 24
edited December 2011 in Soups, Stews, Chilis
im wanting to make beef stew (in a dutch oven) on my bge,could someone tell me how to do it the proper way?
·

Comments

• EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 506
    edited December 2011
    I did a variation of this one a few times with great results:

Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • mitchmitch Posts: 25
    Yum.  Love stew.
    ·
  • I like to dredge the beef in a mixture of flour, garlic powder and onion powder, Brown the beef in oil remove abd drain. Put a ton of sliced onion and cook it down til transparent. Add fresh garlic and then return beef and add beef stock. From there, decide what other ingredients you want and add. The flour from the dredge will create a roux and it should be enough to thicken the stew. Add some herbs near the end and some heavy cream. My favourite is the aforementioned with the addition of sauteed cremini mushrooms.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Little Steven I would love to eat at your house.
    ·
  • I forgot to say use wine to deglaze the pan. Yer welcome anytime

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • AD18AD18 Posts: 159
    Do you use the lid on the Dutch oven or just leave it open?  Just charcoal or do you add any chips/chunks of wood?  I really want to try this:) 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
    ·
  • Do you use the lid on the Dutch oven or just leave it open?  Just charcoal or do you add any chips/chunks of wood?  I really want to try this:) 

Don't know who you were asking but I normally take the lid off the DO for part of the cook anyway to make sure some smokey flavour gets in there. The egg is pretty well sealed anyway and you won't reduce at the same rate as you would on a burner.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • AD18AD18 Posts: 159
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Little Steven for the info.  I've been dying to try a stew on my egg.  Got all the info I need now just gotta do it.  Thank you.  I've also been wondering about a sea food gumbo of sorts the same way.  Hmmmm, the mind is wondering:)
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
    ·