Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

I finally got my platesetter!!!!

medic119medic119 Posts: 80
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum

I received my platesetter on Saturday and today am trying my hand at my first low and slow.  I started out this morning at 7 am to get the coals going. 

About 45 minutes later, put the platesetter, drip pan and cooking grate in, and allowed the temp to stabilize.

Sunday night I rubbed 2 whole chickens and 1 butt. 

8:20 I placed the 2 chickens in let the egg cook at between 360 and 380 dome temp for 1 and 1/2 hours. I took the birds off and placed the butt on.  I am now letting the birds rest.  Will let you know how they taste later. 

I am really happy with temp control and the bge. 
Hope everyone has a great egg day.
Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q

Comments

• ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,861
    edited November 2011
    There's really no wrong way to use the plate setter, but I would recommend putting the plate setter right after you have your lump going and let the egg and the plate setter get up to temp together.  No reason to wait for each to get up to temp and stabilize separately.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I was wondering wether putting both in at same time would snuff the fire out.  Thanks for the info ChokeOnSmoke. 

I just finished carving the chicken and they are wonderful and juicy.  I hope the pork is just as good. 

Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,861
    edited November 2011

I was wondering wether putting both in at same time would snuff the fire out. 

Just to be clear and more specific on the way I've found works best.  I use an electric starter which I plug in and wait approx. 8 minutes.  Then I stir the lump and put the plate setter (pizza stone, etc.) in and let everything get up to temp together.

Glad to hear the chicken turn out well!
    Packerland, Wisconsin