Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Beef back ribs

SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,102
edited November 2011 in Beef

Scored a nice 8 bone rack of beef back ribs at the local farmer's market this morning. Just over 3 lb. @ $1.99 Cdn.

Slathered them with mustard and used Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express on them. At this time, they have been on for 3½ hrs. @ 250º dome temp.

Thermopen is showing from 165º centre of rack to 183º out near the edges. Not planning on saucing, just a dipping sauce.

Not much resistance to the Thermopen in the meat between the bones ... I'm getting excited! 

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.

Comments

• SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,102
    Just took the 2 end bones off the rack ... they were ready ... nice chew! ... Gawd I love this egg ... off to flavor town in a big way!
  • nice. i cooked some myself today, half a rack.  those things are good.  I dont take temp on those, I use the toothpick or a fork.  
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.

Thermopen went in easy all up & down that rack (temp varied 20º), so I foiled them with a bit of apple juice for an hour or so.

Made a nice spicy little dipping sauce, from Napoleon fire roasted garlic sauce, beer & ghost pepper infused oil. It had a thin consistency and only used every other bite ... very nice!

Flavor was what I was looking for ....

• eggoeggo Posts: 492
    I can smell'em. Would like to see'em. Any pics?
    Eggo in N. MS
    Sorry no pix on this cook...
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Squeezy - how long were they on?  I am finally getting around to cooking the beef back ribs I bought a few days back tonight (I think anyway).

Just reread from the top, it was 4 1/2 hrs

• GatoGato Posts: 766
    Where have you been Squeeze?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • centex99centex99 Posts: 231
    No pics?  Didn't happen... ;-)

@Gato ..!. I had to move my household, so was busy packing ... now unpacking. Should be back in the swing soon...

@centex99 ; Poop happens!

@-)
  • ShawnShawn Posts: 356
    Take your time and settle in your new crib!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • GatoGato Posts: 766
    @Squeezy glad to hear it.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
    have my beef backs finalizing on the egg.  Just took one and they are great.  Definite keeper, will make again. 
    Any pix or details?
    Squeezy - For you and you only.  Please see attached.  Forgot the before, so here is the after - no doubt same effect.  
    <Burp>

Looks a bit unfinished ... bones are not clean enough IMHO!

Happy St. Paddy's to ya ... I raise a glass of Guinness 

:D
  • burr_baby33burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Direct or indirect? Any wood? May try tomorrow.
    I went indirect with mesquite