Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

*pics* My first spatchcocked chicken (trial run for the turkey I'm doing tomorrow)

Options
FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking a 12lb Turkey for Thanksgiving tomorrow and decided to give the spatchcocking/brining/injecting a trial run today on a chicken to get a feel for it.

Last night I took a 5lb chicken, spatchcocked it and soaked in the same type of brine I'll use for the Turkey.  Today I took it out, rinsed, injected with creole butter, and sprinkled a little dizzy dust on it.  I cooked it indirect with a drip pan and for smoke used 3 chunks of apple wood.  Cooked till thighs were 185, breast got up to 170, but it was the BEST chicken I've ever had.  Actually my fiance said that first, and I agreed.  Never had better at any restaurant or any other place. Unbelievably juicy, and super tender as well.  Seasoning was spot on.  

Frank

imageimage

Comments