Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

bread machine

mr toadmr toad Posts: 666
edited November 2011 in Off Topic
i am thinking of buying a bread machine

recommendations or suggestions - - thanks for your help

mr toad -
In dog Beers - I have had only one !
·

Comments

• U already have the best bread machine, it's called the green egg
    ·
  • mr toadmr toad Posts: 666
    you are correct - but - i am looking for help in kneading dough - in addition not all breads lend themselves to a smoky bake - i will use the egg for baking - looking to do an old world style baking

mr toad
    In dog Beers - I have had only one !
    ·
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 818
    I think when you bake bread the fire is so hot there really is no smoke to flavour the bread.

Gerhard

·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758
    edited November 2011
    I've made dozens of batches of cookies and a handful of batches of pretzels - absolutely no smoke flavor at all.  You simply need to let the smoke turn completely "clear" and you won't get a smoky flavor.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,317
    you are correct - but - i am looking for help in kneading dough - in addition not all breads lend themselves to a smoky bake - i will use the egg for baking - looking to do an old world style baking

mr toad
    As Tweev_tip said, you can always use a good heavy duty mixer to knead bread.  I have had a number of breads baked in bread makers and I would rate most of them as very mediocre.  I have also made many different variations of the 'NY Times No Knead Bread' with excellent results.  They are very simple to make and take almost no kneading.  They have a very good crust and taste delicious.  I have baked them  in a regular over or on  the BGE with equally good results.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 818
    I use a Kitchen Aid mixer and it does a fine job of mixing the dough and the egg makes a decent oven.  I usually don't bake bread in the summer because of the amount of heat it puts in the house but next summer we will be baking on the egg.  Here is a photo of some sourdough cheese bread I baked on the egg.

·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    I have a bread machine and I never bake bread in it. I used it for mixing and kneading bread, but I got a kitchen aid mixer and now that is all I use. This is the time of the year for deals on either one you choose.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • troutgeektroutgeek Posts: 456
    edited November 2011
    Another for the Kitchen Aid. 

Baked this Italian dipping bread last weekend.  It's basically soaked in EVOO with Italian herbs.  Pretty awesome stuff.

Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,317
    That no knead bread is awesome! I screwed around getting a sour dough to work and it worked once and then I lost interest.  I really need to get back to that.
    I've made sour dough, rye,whole wheat,cheese,oat,and semolina all using the no-knead bread recipe with some small changes.  The sour dough is my favorite. It takes about 15 minutes to mix up the bread and clean up afterwards.  I bake it the next day.

I used to bake it in a dutch oven, but experimented a little and found that any covered baking pot will work as well.  I now use a large 'blue enameled' turkey roaster. This is nice because it will hold several loaf pans.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • I am not familiar with the no-knead bread recipe, but it sounds awesome! Even though I am an avid baker, I have not mastered bread yet, even with the help of a Kitchenaid mixer. Will someone please post a recipe/link for this?
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    Here is one of the No Knead recipes I use.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·