Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Work in progress. So perhaps i CAN screw up a pork shoulder.

Options
Elmer Fudd
Elmer Fudd Posts: 65
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest

Hello

I"m smoking a pork shoulder - started it last night and was hoping to wrap it up this morning in prep for a MN Vikings loss today (maybe not a good sign).  I guess the temp wasn't completely stabelized last night as i thought and as temperatures started moving toward 300, i closed things down too much.  Temp in the egg was dropping this morning when I woke up and ended up adding more charcoal and re-lit the egg.  Currently cooking at 300 and the 6.5 pound pork internal temperature is at about 135.  I believe the internal temperature got to maybe 165 last night.  Gametime is in 3 hours, looking for any advice on dome temp and if you believe there will be any moisture left.   I believe I'm shootin for 190 degree internal temp.

Thanks!

Elmer Fudd

Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

At this point, I'd have it in a pan with a little apple juice ... foiled tight ... off to rest when you hit about 190º internal.

Keep us posted and best of luck!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Why do you have to foil? Couldn't you just turn up the heat and cook to temp or would that dry it out?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Elmer Fudd
    Options

Thanks for the advice Squeezy and Tweev_tip.  Sorry GrannyX4, I have already started the process as the clock is ticking.  Hopefully the apple juice and foil will "steam" the shoulder to the finish, and hopefully the smoke flavor has already penetrated the shoulder. 

Again, many thanks,

Elmer Fudd

• Squeezy
    edited November 2011
    Options

More about gittin' er done in time for the game ... keep the heat in!

You should have all the smoke flavor you want from last night.

• Elmer Fudd
    Options

Pork Shoulder was a success - the friends thought it was excellent - good smokey flavor, moist and very good!  I appreciate the help today, it really didn't take that long to reach the 190 degree internal temperature after i re lit the egg this morning and incorporated the pan, apple juice and foil per your suggestion. Great idea. I think my football team could you some good advice as well.

Thanks Again, I really enjoy the forum and appreciate the advice today. (thougth I just posted this but don't see it, sorry if it turns into a duplicate).

Elmer Fudd

• Squeezy
    Options
    Love a story with a happy ending ... congrats!