Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Make it mobile

Options
paulheels
paulheels Posts: 457
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
I do a fair amount of cooking for friends and family. I was able to haul my grill before. I am going to make a table for the egg. Before I do it, I need to ask abut mobility.
Who travels with their egg? I am trying to figure out the best way to make it mobile. Also, how to secure and what to do to be a safe mobile unit. I mean safe for the grill.

Paul
thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    A pickup truck with a Tommy-Lift would work nicely.  you will need to make sure that it does not get too bumpy while it is still hot as it may crack from the ride. I am not sure if it would be covered under warranty by making it mobile. If you put it in a table on a trailer, those tend to get REAL bumpy.  
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The best way to make it mobile, is put it in a Nest with a Nest Handler mounted to it. If you want shelves, add Egg Mates.  If you want to build a separate prep table for use at home, then if you get another Egg, it can be shared across Eggs, instead of having to build a table for each one. In the meantime, your mobile Egg can easily be wheeled to other locations, and the side shelves give you a little work surface.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Smyrna Cooker
    Options
    I recently saw a toyota with a type of hitch that holds the green egg.
  • paulheels
    Options
    I am looking for something that will allow me to haul the EGG. Not just move it around the house. I know there has to be a way. does anyone cook at competitions?
  • paulheels
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions already. I do not have a lift gate, and that probably is not a viable option. Someone here has to travel with their egg, right?
  • Dawgbite
    Options
    This may be sacreligious but I have my egg in a stainless steel table with large casters and roll it on a trailer for tailgating. Did this a few times but just didn't trust it not to break the egg. I purchased a Broil King Keg that is a steel knockoff of the egg. It comes with a receiver hitch adapter for travel and since it is steel, no possibility of breakage. It's also lighter than the egg so it's easy or two people to hitch and unhitch. Not the quality of the egg but works great on the back of the motorhome!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited November 2011
    Options

We transport Eggs all the time, we carry our 4 larges to competitions in a cargo trailer.  We do deliveries for the store in a pick-up.   A large can be lifted out of the nest put into the back of the truck after taking the enternal ceramic out.  We cinch the hinge against the tailgate tight with a strap running out to the bumper and it rides fine.  You can put enternal ceramic in a plastic tub or stack in the back seat.  If you have another to help load and unload it is quite easy.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• paulheels
    Options
    Thanks smitty. I was thinking about breaking it down like that. The XL will still be a load. Thanks tho