Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To Marinade, or not to Marinade...that is the question.

Options
bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
edited November 2011 in Forum List
I posted earlier about buying my first brisket and how to marinade.  i received some good advice, but I am still uncertain.  I plan on throwing the brisket on eeeeeeearly Saturday morning, if not late Friday night.  If i am going to marinate, i want to start tonight.  Also, If i do marinate, do i need the 2 gal. ziploc bags?  HELP!
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I am not an expert on briskets but I did 3 of them last week (flats) and I didn't marinate. I put the rub on just before I put them on the egg and they had a lot of flavor. I don't think there are any rules. Just cook at a 250 dome to 195 to 200 temp.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I've never heard of marinating a brisket.  Put worchester on and then your favorite rub right before you toss it on. Go 250 dome and take it close to 200 internal temp.  Good every time.  Oh, and open the lid as FEW times as you can.  I use a Maverick ET-73 and don't open the lid once until it hits 195 - 200.  Calibrate and trust your thermometer.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• paulheels
    Options
    No need to marinade. With all the beautiful fat on there, you can't ask for better flavor. Salt and pepper and toss it on. The more you try to "flavor" the meat, the more you mess it ip
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I never marinate a brisket.  Just be sure to test for tenderness with a fork before removing it.  Start checking at about 185 degrees and remove when tender.

As I've said before:

Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Options
    So we have been going for about 5 hours now.  I peeked through the top vent, and wow, that beast looks good!  I have been very patient and have not opened the lid yet.  When should I take my first hands on look?  Again, I put it on around 3:30AM.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX