Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Pork Butt

Options
skyhopsing
skyhopsing Posts: 107
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
I purchased a butt last weekend with the hope off starting it on Saturday for Sunday dinner.  I rubbed it with dizzy pig and put it in the fridge.  However I was called into work and was unable to start the butt.  

No problem I'll just save it for next weekend.  Low and behold I got called out again.  So here is the question.  

Should I freeze it or just let it ride a few more days in the fridge?

Thanks

Bob

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    Options
    I would freeze it, I have a 5 day rule (7 day rule let me down so I revised it), if its not cooked or eaten in 5 days then it is thrown away or I freeze it. 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    You might want to check the temperature of your fridge yellowdogbbq, seriously a whole roast should last 7 days ground meat is whole different can of worms.

Gerhard
  • paulheels
    Options
    I am with yellowdog,  five days, I start to get a little weary.  Depending on when the meat was cut, I might go seven.  Might be time to freeze, in my opinion.

thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Little Steven
    Options

I don't understand. It is rubbed with DP, which is not all that salty but does contain some. It has been in a cold environment for a week. Is that any different than the grocery store? Does it smell off? . The nose knows. I would cook that puppy myself.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Five days? Good lord. What a waste of food and money

Bacteria are on the outside, and the thing has been rinsed and rubbed and presumably stored in a fridge at proper temps. Do you throw out eggs, butter, milk after five days? If not, why not

Not trying to start anything, just saying most of us are woefully unfamiliar with our food, and what makes it safe or not. We throw out things based on arbitrary dates, mental lines in the sand, rather than an understanding of how to keep it safe

I will never understand someone tossing out a steak after the sell by date, yet shelling out 50 bucks for dry aged beef at a restaurant

Your point about the grocery store is a good one, steven. Neverminding the fact too that the meat is a couple weeks old as it is. Anything that could have gone wrong would have gone wrong by now, not in its last five days

I dont know, i just find it extremely wasteful in this day and age to throw out food and to not know why

Heck. I am going to buy the cristmas roast today. I'm a little behind frankly. Now i'll need to throw it out next thursday apparently
    Sigh
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Just a little more info...  By the time the grocery store gets "fresh" meat from say IBP, Cargill(aka Excel, Ranchers Choice and a host of other names) to name 2, it hung in a meat locker for at least 30 days before it was carved into shippable pieces (rib roast, loins, quarters etc...) which was then carved into sellable pieces (steaks, roasts etc...).
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    exactly.

that doesn't mean it is going to go bad in five days.  frankly, i think it makes it clear how safe the meat is.

meat cannot possibly go bad in five days.  unless improperly handled, stored and prepared.
    it is an incredibly simple thing, which has been complicated by our general ignorance.

the more you know about something, the less you fear.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante