Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

spatchcocking a turkey

ricktannerricktanner Posts: 24
edited November 2011 in Poultry
HOW DIFFUCULT IS IT FOR A BEGINNER TO DEBONE(SPATCHCOCK) A 12LB TURKEY?

Comments

• Here is a YouTube video.  Hope it helps.  Have never done one myself.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6In-ykjS9w

Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • Spatchcocking a 12lb turkey is not difficult.  I have spatched a 21lb turkey.  I always just use kitchen(butchering) shears.  However, the bigger you go, you may need a heavy butchers knife.

• GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,474
    To do a spatch turkey you just cut down either side of the back bone. There isn't a need to debone unless that is just something you want to do.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • I think I'm going to spatchcock my 22 lb.  I can't wait to cook my first turkey on the BGE!
  • Good video Tweev_Tip, thanks for the posting it.
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    When you spatchcock the turkey you can still put the stuffing under the skin! Did this two years ago, yum.

David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • In cooking a spatched turkey this way - are we using direct or indirect?

• SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,102
    In cooking a spatched turkey this way - are we using direct or indirect?

Indirect
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • I do direct heat with raised grill.  
  • Yes, I do too

Steve 

Caledon, ON