Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hours/Pound for Small Butts

Matt
Matt Posts: 143
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hi All --

I've got two small (3#) pork butts that I'm going to smoke tomorrow. Obviously, I cook to temperature, but I'd like a guess as to how long these guys will take at 225-250. Usually, I smoke whole shoulders for 20-24 hours when I make barbecue, but I'm just cooking small butts to make a few tacos for tomorrow (with de Arbol chile salsa and sliced red onions).

Thanks.

Matt

Comments

• These are probably roasts, I am guessing.  If so then around an hr an lb.  If bone in, it will be a little longer, but not much.  I always figure what I "think" will be enough time and add a couple of hours,  it is my personal way of not falling behind.  Next time you just want to do a small amount of pork, try a half Picnic.  Personally, I think this cut produces a better textured meat than the Butt Roasts and is more tender. 

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Matt
    Thanks for the tips. I get my pork from a local (albeit still commercial) producer and have always been happy with their quality.

"Heels" wouldn't by any chance be of the Tar variety, would it?
  • Yeah Tar Heels it is!
  • Matt
    Big game today! That's why I'll be here cooking all afternoon -- gives me something to do during commercials! I'm a professor at State, but my wife went to UNC ('93). We'll both be pulling for Carolina today.

Are you local?
  • Nice.  You married a smart woman!  Go Heels!