Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Transporting the Egg

bhuggbhugg Posts: 164
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest
I just bought a Demo Egg from the Plano Eggfest.  What is the best way to transport the Egg safely to my house?
Large BGE
Dallas, TX

Comments

• hoppyhoppy Posts: 16

I would ask the event people if they kept the box that the egg came in and dismantle the egg. Make certain to tie-wrap the spring loaded hinge prior to loosening the bolts and removing the band, Rember how all the pieces fit in to the egg while disassembling it. Place all the pieces in the boxes and place in the back of a pick-up truck. Securely tie down the boxes and drive home. 

Reverse this procedure once you get back to your house. Keep the spring loaded band tied until you completely assemble the egg. Good luck with your first cook-out.

• Make sure the lid is securely shut.  Bring blankets and padding of any sort, and make sure your egg is secure from atleast four points of contact to the truck.  If you do not think you can accomplish this safely,  do as Hoppy says.  But that is alot more work.  haha
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • bhuggbhugg Posts: 164
    thanks guys.  I was not sure if i needed to disassemble any of it or if i could just transport it whole.  I am going to secure it in a trailer, so i should be fine with plenty of padding.  
    Large BGE
    Dallas, TX
  • when I moved mine all I did was to make sure that the innards were removed and packed carefully, then I laid the whole outer unit in the back of the car one a dog hammock and it was fine