Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Go Go Gadget . . . why?

The_Grill_Sergeant
The_Grill_Sergeant Posts: 87
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
A curiosity . . .

Why are a lot of you guys stoked on these electronic temp control gadgets when the Egg seems to be perfectly capable of maintaining temp on its own?  Sure, I'm an Egg noob, but the times I've used it, it seemed like a no brainer.  Plus, I believe one of the biggest selling points when asked "Why Egg and not Traeger?" is that the Egg requires no 110.

Thoughts?

Sarge
Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited October 2011
    As good as the Egg is, it is possible for anyone to have their fire go out in the middle of the night and ruin a cook.  It gives many folks peace of mind.  Personally, I get distracted and like knowing that someone is watching while I"m not.  There is also the capability to monitor and control your cook from your smart phone or computer, which some folks like. And then there is this: The Book of Overnight Fires

The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited October 2011
    as good as those powered draft units are, they can also still go out overnight too.  has happened more than once on the 'old' bge forum. last summer seemed to be a spate of them.

basically comes down to 'i like toys' or 'i don't need toys'.  to each his own.

but there is no fail-safe method for keeping a fire going, even with the powered draft units. just build a decent fire, and let her rip

i did a butt about two weeks ago. at midnight,i  set vents for 225 or so (i wanted to slow the first part of the cook so it wouldn't be done too soon and so that i didn't have to start it at 2 a.m.)

i woke to check on it, around 6 a.m..  DAMN!  needle was pointing straight up.  looked to be about 400.  when i went outside, i saw that it was still 225.  i had forgotten that i'd turned the thermo so that 225 was straight up.  ....i did it so i'd be able to check the temp without going outside.  anythng left or right of straight up would tell me i was off.  but it was dead on.

i'll get a powered draft thingy the moment the egg fails me
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I like my powered draft thingy. Never had it off by more than 1 degree when I got up in the morning. I have never had a fire go out either way but I also make sure I am holding a constant temp for atleast an hour before I go to bed. Even with waiting atleast an hour I have woken up to 25 degrees off where I wanted it to be. I don't use my powered thingy ever during the day unless I am not there. Mine was a gift.
  • All I can say is that after 10 years of using my powered draft thingy, I've never had a fire go out.  I'll trust my powered draft thingy over the Egg and my fire-building abilities any day.
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you'd need a dozen fires to go out before it paid for the lost pork.
    heh heh heh

as i said ,tough.  to each his own.
    it's fine if someone wants to go that route.

i don't have a high end sports car either. but i get there just the same. and some day might like one.  just not now
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike, you omit the cost of the emotional trauma.  and damage to your reputation.  you know, "What have you done for me lately?"  :-)
    The Naked Whiz
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

I have no choice but to use the egg and it's temperature control.  If I bought one more thingy (and at the prices), I would be wearing the egg in many pieces.  Better half loves the finished product but I have reached the limit on $$ and that's for a LBGE, plate setter, fire bricks and another grate.  And I have had great success (and probably some luck) with extended low&slow cooks.  So we continue the learning curve.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap, yeah, wive's tend to ooh and ahh over the food, but when you go, "Look dear, I can graph the temperature on my smart phone, and it has this neat feature where it will....." you'd better be watching your back cause she's sneaking up with that frying pan, lol!

The Naked Whiz
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    If only the pan was cast iron, then if I survived the onslaught I could saw the handle and have another "toy":)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • got one, use it only on overnighters, like it
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • Same reason I have an ECOBEE thermostat; ISIS Can-Bus electrical harness and other assorted gadgets; THEY AMUSE ME!