Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Best Remote Temp probe

yumdingeryumdinger Posts: 184
edited October 2011 in EGGtoberfest
Curious to know which remote temp probe you all use.  Which are most accurate?  Best Value is always important?  I am going to be buying one soon and I value the input you all give on this site.
Thanks.
·

Comments

• 2nd on the Maverick ET 732, love mine.
    ·
  • yumdingeryumdinger Posts: 184
    Thank you, if you have the Maverick then where does the Thermapen type thermometer fit?  When is one better than the other?  
    ·
  • GreygooseGreygoose Posts: 103
    edited October 2011

i purchased a Oregon Scientific AW129 of ebay for under 30 bucks. it may have been last years model cause the new picture looks different. I find it to very accurate and its wireless so i can bring the main unit inside where its warm while it outside doing its thing.  the damn thing actually speaks to you when meat in "almost done" , "done", and "overdone". I would have  bought a maverick if this thing wasnt available so cheaply. 
    Greygoose

·
  • I just got the Maverick ET-732.  Amazon online has for 59.99, and if you apply for their Amazon Chase Visa, they credit you 40, so it came out to $19.99 and no freight. 
    ·
  • yumdingeryumdinger Posts: 184
    Tweev I know how they differ physically,   Wireless units I am guessing are best for longer slower cooks or bigger hunks of meat..... So often I read DONT OPEN the egg during a cook.  Ok so if I am not to open the Egg then how do I take the temp with the themapen?
    It seems like the Therma pen is very popular and yet so too is the instruction to leave the egg shut.
    Therma pen = good for burgers wings/chicken parts, chops and steaks?  
    I currently have the BGE knock off therma pen.  Based on my experience with this product I can understand how a faster reading probe would be beneficial.  The BGE version takes FOREVER, seemingly, to get to a consistent reading.  

·
  • brimeebrimee Posts: 68
    My WalMart has one for $16 that I just got I compared it to my calibrated gauge that I have for work, it was right on, now to see how long it lasts...

I guess if your a professional cook you would probably want something better but for me this should be just fine.
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
    ·