Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting XL BGE up to 700 for pizza - help me in Oxnard pls

Options
Pathfinder
Pathfinder Posts: 2
edited October 2011 in EGGtoberfest
I want to do Pizzas in my BGE and have been told that it needs to be 650-700. How do you get it that hot?

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Load the lump up 1/2 way up the fire ring, light in 4 places, leave lid open for 5-10 mins, put plate setter and stone in, close lid (no top vent), leave bottom vent wide open till you reach temp.... be careful, it will go nuclear!
    Kent Madison MS
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    pathfinder: You don't need 650-700 to do pizza unless you are doing Neopolitan style pizzas, in which case, you probably want even higher.  Normal pizza is usually done in the 450-550 degree range.  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    pathfinder: You don't need 650-700 to do pizza unless you are doing Neopolitan style pizzas, in which case, you probably want even higher.  Normal pizza is usually done in the 450-550 degree range.  Good luck!

+1

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    Plus you'll risk a early gasket upgrade cooking at those temps. A true Neopolitin Pizza is cooked I a wood fire Io oven. You can really get a true Neo over lump. The genuine article has to be cooked over pure blazing hardwood.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Pathfinder
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back. I will try the lower temps.