Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egghead here - First cook done (burgers), now need 411 on smoking

fiveohmike
fiveohmike Posts: 3
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum

Hey Guys,

Just got my green egg today and WHOA.  Just finished doing some plank cooked burgers.  I had the egg at 375, cooked on the plans for 10 minutes then on the grill for a couple more (thick burgers).  They came out fantastic and put my Odeon grill to shame.  I had BGE Lump charcoal, and 2 soaked Cherrywood chunks in there.

Now after i was done cooking i slapped the grate shut on the bottom, and the daisy wheel on top.  I wanted to test getting to smoke temp.  It was a little discouraging to say the least.  Its been 30 minutes and the temp is still at 310.

I am worried that my fire is out, but do not know how to tell. Once the temp go to 250 i was going to open up the bottom vent to about 1/8" and the crack the daisy wheel.

I know coming down from a sustained hotter temp takes a while on the green egg so I ask this.  I am going ahead with my first smoke tomorrow (pork ribs and a tri tip).

When lighting the egg, and getting it ready, when should I slap the vents shut?  How long should I give it to stabalize at 250 (275 before the meat goes on).  Just trying to get it right so I dont waste meat.

Thanks!

Comments

• DominicMagestic
    DominicMagestic Posts: 110
    edited October 2011
    Stabilize the temps for about 20-30 minutes before meat goes on.

Load lump up just past the fire box - to higher for longer cooks
    Mix your smoking chunks in the lump - you don't need to soak on a BGE
    Fire it up with top off and lower vent open and platesetter in the egg
    When it hits around 225 adjust the bottom vent to about 1/8" open and top vent just a crack on the petals
    Go do your prep and don't play with the vents
    Egg should stabilize around 250 within 30 minutes and you shouldn't have any bad smoke
    Smell the smoke - smells ok, food can go on
    Don't mess with vents after putting the meat on - the dome temp will go down initially but will return
    If you start messin with the vents you will be chasing the temp all cook.

Buena suerte
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    If you close vents, your fire will go out as soon as it uses all the air inside, so if you need to cook, you must leave some air coming in. It is best to catch your temp. on the way up. The insulating ability of the egg is what will keep the egg hot for quite some time without a fire. Bottom line ... if you still need to cook do not close up tight ...
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    don't worry too much about wasting the meat. it'll still turn out pretty good. I remember with some of my initial cooks the egg kicked my a$$ but the food still turned out well... I think I remember once it took the tongs from me and said "just let me do it"

context is important :)
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    for smoking use wood chunks and soak them in water or apple juice, soda, wine lemond juice, etc... The soak time depands on how strong of a soak your using! I usually soak them between 1 hour to six! I also make sure my meet is in the fridge atleast 1 hour before smoaking. When the meat is cool it absorbes more soke! :)
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Thanks guys!  Ill post some pics pre and post smoke!
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I don't soak my wood at all and I find no big difference from when I did soak.  I do put a drip pan in though and sometimes will add some apple juice or water to it.  Just elevate it off of the plate setter with some rolled foil or something so it won't burn off. 

As others said, get the fire going, but not full blown before you close your vents.  If you overshoot and get your EGG too hot it will take a little while to come down.  Not too long mind you.  Just quicker if you don't.  Either way it's not going to hurt things if its a bit hot for that short duration.  Adjust your vents as needed to achieve your desired temp.  Small adjustments.....small.  Once things are stable you are good to go.  Also look into a pit minder like a the BBQ guru or stoker.  They are amazing and if you plan on doing alot of smoking are an almost must have.  I went years without one, but wouldn't do that again.  Just makes things easier.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    edited October 2011
    Nm
    context is important :)
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209

For low temp cook.....As soon as it is lit...shut it down to two thin slits top and bottom.

If your temp goes too high your food will be cooked before the temp comes down.

Wet chips will not smoke until the water is steamed away. Dry chips burn when the lid is up and smoke when the lid is down.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Well I forgot to take pics!

Anyways I smoke the Tri-Tip and Ribs for ~3hr 45 minutes.  I overcooked them a bit, as I was struggling to get the temp down to my target of 250 dome.  I couldnt get it to go below 275 dome.

However even though my bottom vent was at 1/4" opening, and the daisy was just cracked, I should have closed it to 1/8" to 1/16" of an inch.  I was afraid of the fire going out.  However after researching I do seem to have had my vent open too much

Anyways the meat was super tasty just a bit overdone.  Learning as I go...gonna grill some chicken breast tonight.  I think Ill be using this thing everyday for some time :)