Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving prep

Options
doublesuited
doublesuited Posts: 16
edited October 2011 in EGGtoberfest
Starting to think about Thanksgiving and thinking about smoking a 2nd turkey this year.

Looking for any tips/recs?   I have heard that stuffing is a no no for the smoker.  (bummer, because that is the best part).

Please send any favorite recipes. Pregiving (my dry run is only 2 weeks away!!)

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I have done a spatchcock turkey with stuffing, This was a sausage stuffing that is fully cooked so it does there is no worry about having to go long with the cook. It was delicious and moist.

Yes the skin did split but that did not change the flavor. This year I am going to debone the turkey, still stuff under the skin but also in the drumsticks and thighs, will make carving a breeze.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • doublesuited
    Options
    thanks.   did you still brine the turkey before you spatchcock it.

Also, how long and what temp?   I have an XL egg so i could fit a turkey in it? does spatchcocking still make sense?
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I did a spatchcocked turkey last week on the egg. definitely a great way to cook the bird.

not the prettiest of pics. but here's the thread from last week

all that being said.. don't sweat it. setup the egg to the temp that you want. and let it do its thing. you'll probably have an idea of how long it will take per pound...so use that as a guage.

if you cover the stuffing that will help with reducing the smokiness. As does covering the bird. As does using lump that has a milder smoke flavour.
    context is important :)
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Cooked at about 375 for 2.5 hours, I think. I did not brine the bird just to salt and pepper rubbed inside and out. That was about an 18 pound bird on a large.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.