Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE Feet In A Table

Options
davejames0426
davejames0426 Posts: 105
edited October 2011 in Forum List
Should I use the 3 feet provided? I have a custom table and using fire rated brick under the bottom that is 18X18 size, thanks for the advice
LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yes. Use feet except on the XL.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    My 2 cents worth... The Egg can get very hot on the bottom and that heat WILL transfer somewhere. While the fire brick will do its job, for me, the feet allow air circulation to assist with the heat dissipation. My Egg's paver the feet sit on can get very warm (if not hot) after about 4 pizzas cooking at 500 degrees. The bottom of the Egg is so hot it would cause serious injury if you touched it. I'd bet there is over a 100 degree difference because the feet provide air flow (sounds like my next "red neck test" will be the temp difference!) 
    Kent Madison MS
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    I just finished my table for my Lg BGE and use the feet.  I have a 24" x 18" x 1.25" piece of blue stone under the egg and it gets warm to the touch even with the air gap provided by the feet. 
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    Options

The minimum I would  suggest is feet with a paver stone. Never seen a fire with that set up.

Even better would be fire bricks and feet. This is based on reading post only.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    My 2 cents worth... The Egg can get very hot on the bottom and that heat WILL transfer somewhere. While the fire brick will do its job, for me, the feet allow air circulation to assist with the heat dissipation. My Egg's paver the feet sit on can get very warm (if not hot) after about 4 pizzas cooking at 500 degrees. The bottom of the Egg is so hot it would cause serious injury if you touched it. I'd bet there is over a 100 degree difference because the feet provide air flow (sounds like my next "red neck test" will be the temp difference!) 

Couldn't agree more ... nothing like a little air space to dissipate heat ... only thing better would be a water jacket ...
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.