Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Chili

BotchBotch Posts: 4,497
edited October 2011 in EGGtoberfest
It was supposed to be partly cloudy and dry today, wanted to mow the lawn one last time and winterize the mower, but woke up to 40 F and a light drizzle, so decided to make chili instead.  Thought I'd try pre-cooking the meat in the Egg with some smoke, and see what that does to the chili.  At the store I found a "7-bone" pot roast, I've never worked with that cut of meat but it was only $7 so gave it a try; also halved a couple onions to smoke also:

Cooked it to 150 F internal, really a good-looking cut of meat and pretty tender for not having much marbling at all.  I sliced it up and then cubed it for chili.  There weren't 7 bones in it, only two (I later looked up on Wikipedia that the main bone is shaped like a "7"; my two bones looked more like a roman numeral "VI"   :D  )

Added beans, tomatoes-n-green chile that I had in the cupboard, ground chile, garlic, salt & pecker, cumin, oregano, and basil.  Had the first bowl after 3 hours, it needs to stew a bit longer but was still darn good.  I don't own any cast-iron so the chili itself was made in a crockpot.  

I like to throw a handful of Fritos in the bottom of the bowl and gobs of cheddar on top, yum!

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  

Comments

• Looks Tasty!
    Rich
    Ashland, WI  /  Large & Mini Max
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,102

That looks like what we call chuck or shoulder which is quite a tasty piece, and good for chili or stews.

I'd go one step further ... put the chili in an open pot and back on the egg to get some more smoke on it.

I do it all the time with bean dishes ... just love it!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Looks good.
  • mr toadmr toad Posts: 666
    squeezy - what pot do you use when you cook chili -

mr toad
    In dog Beers - I have had only one !
  • LDDLDD Posts: 1,225
    looks great.

I stopped using ground beef for chili about 5-6 years ago, and exclusively steak/roasts.

context is important :)
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,102
    I just make it inside with my stainless pots, then transfer to an aluminum pan, into the smoker at 225º for a couple hours of smoke time, stirring in the smoke flavor every half hr. or so ... :\">
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • 4Runner4Runner Posts: 2,762

Looks and sounds great.   Looks like your pic is a bit early....needs to simmer more and thicken.  Still, I can almost smell it from here.   I do think charring the meat on the Egg adds a nice flavor.  I also now do everything on the Egg for my chili except garilic, onion and peppers.  My burger is ground from chuck so I start with that and then add some cubed meat....typically a top sirlion steak.   Just to mix up the texture a bit.  I can't wait to do a chili.

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • GatoGato Posts: 766
    I would be careful about adding that ingredient right after the salt. Whoops
    Geaux Tigers!!!