Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cowboy Coals On Sale

davejames0426davejames0426 Posts: 105
edited October 2011 in EggHead Forum
Stopped at local Lowes today in SC and they had 8.8 pound bags for $5.00, may want to check your local store for this close out sale.
LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
·

Comments

• ribmasterribmaster Posts: 209

Lowes 15 lbs bags are 9 bucks around here(MS). I read that it is low quality, boards and flooring.

I am gonna try a bag soon.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
    ·
  • Lowes 15 lbs bags are 9 bucks around here(MS). I read that it is low quality, boards and flooring.

I am gonna try a bag soon.

The first bag I got was poor but the last three bags have been very much better. I have had good luck with using this for my cooks.
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
    ·
  • 55drum55drum Posts: 100
    edited October 2011
    Restaurant Depo (if there's one in your area) always has Kingsford Lump for sale @ $0.45 p/lb ....comes in 17.8 lb bags
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,116
    cowboy quality is all over the place, this summer they changed over to regular lump from the scrap board lump, was good, but lately it has some off flavors, i think the wood being used isnt consistent, yellow smoke and a bitter taste in the last few bags and i think some pine was mixed in. it is even a little bitter after the smoke clears. bags have whole branch sections in them now, not split and chunked and some have bark still attached that looks like its from a hard pine
    ·
  • JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
    Just bought some bags--- seems fine-- nice big chunks.
    ·
  • I usually either use royal oak or cowboy.  I have not had much of a problem with cowboy but I have noticed that it comes to temp much faster but also burns quickly.  I typically have used it when baking to avoid smoke flavors, but I have not picked up a bag in a while...

·
  • I am new to this, but my first 3 20 pound bags were cowboy and I thought it was fine until I tried the Ozark. The Ozark lights easier, burns better and seems cleaner than the cowboy.
    Rich
    Ashland, WI  /  Large & Mini Max
    ·
  • I am a big Ozark Oak fan.  We get it here locally in 10# bags for a little less than $5.
    ·
  • I had to pay $8 something with free shipping but I was paying $14.50 for 20 pounds of the Cowboy.
    Rich
    Ashland, WI  /  Large & Mini Max
    ·
  • I am in upstate South Carolina and normally the Cowboy is $8 per 8.8 LB. I have yet to find many different lumps locally to compare against.
    ·
  • 20lb bag ace hardware on woodruff $11.50
    ·
  • GarlicGarlic Posts: 40
    Kroger in savannah ga has there store brand of lump on sale for $5.49 for 8.8 lb bag, bought one to try when we get home. Anybody else ever use the kroger brand of lump?
    ·