Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasget leaks

Options
mikeH
mikeH Posts: 1
edited September 2011 in Root
I replace my gasket because the original one peeled off.  I noticed that smoke is leaking around the sides with the new gasket installed .  It seems that the lid and base are not flat. I also noticed that the lid is about an 1/8th" smaller in diameter then the base, which exposes some of the gasket ex to the heat. I think that's why I burned out the original gasket.  I bought the egg last May. Anyone have any similar problems or a way to deal with this? Thanks.

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Did you do a dollar bill test around the rim after replacing the gasket?
    Kent Madison MS
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I had a similliar issue here how there customer service told me to fixe it:

I'm trying to figure out if at some point the hinge may have been sprung without the weight of the dome in it. This could cause the alignment issue. What I will recommend is that you lock the hinge down... carefully remove the springs. Loosen the bands and adjust the alignment of the dome and base and then tighten the unit up. Once everything seems to be in place and perfectly aligned you will need to use a screw driver to replace the springs. This should solve the problem for you. I would also ask that you look at the bands to make sure they are both at the right level on the dome and base... if they are too low on the base they can cause the dome to rub on the rear of the base and pull on the alignment. 
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com