Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
Nicholas_Wetton
Nicholas_Wetton Posts: 98
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
My BGE XL is being delivered on Friday this week and I am super excited!  A neighbor, who introduced me to bbq smoking many years ago, is getting married in a few weeks.  We are hosting their 'returning home' party and I want to attempt a brisket.  Each time I mention my intention my neighbor tells me to avoid it because a 'brisket is very hard to get right'.  I'd be interested in thoughts and tips from the forum.  Before I attempt this feat remember the first time I use the BGE in anger is for 40 guests this weekend and I am smoking a pork butt.  I appreciate everyone's comments on that thread and especially the link to Elder Ward's blog entry on NC pulled pork  I have asked the esteemed gentlemen for guidance on the size of the butt he smoked as I couldn't see any references to weight in the article.

I look forward to being active in this forum and thanks in advance for any comments.

Nic
Bronxville, NY
Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Practice.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    two popular sites.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

I'm by no means an expert.. go with whatever rub you choose.... put it on at 250 indirect. my limited experience is about 1hr/lb -1hr 15min/lb avg. you always hear cook to temp and not time, but it's good to have a rough idea how long things will take right? :) 

start checking it at about 185 to see how tender the flat is. The point has enough fat in it that it won't dry out at that point.

I would suggest going with a packer as opposed to a flat. and maybe make a couple of flats before hand to get a feel for it.

others have had success with the fast method. i'm sure some of those folks will chime in. maybe I'll give the quick method a shot this weekend :)
    context is important :)
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options

I haven't ever experienced any serious problems with brisket - nor do I find them any harder than pulled pork.  Just like LDD said, indirect at 250 (I am usually around 275) and go to 195.  Pull it and wrap it in tin foil and a beach towel - then into an oven (turned off) or cooler for up to 4 hours.  Then slice.

Two things I have learned:

1) keep all meat over the platesetter or indirect plate.  I have had small sections that hung over the platesetter get drier than the rest - still edible, but better if you can avoid it.  This is more of a problem when I am trying to cram several on the egg to feed an army.

2) I have begun picking out more lean cuts of brisket that have been trimmed by the butcher - but always leave the fat cap for protection.  The last four briskets were leaner and turned out wonderful.  I used to think you needed the fat to keep it moist - but the BGE does that for you.  The result is less fat in the end, which many guests always avoided anyway.

Like mentioned above, practice with one first if you don't feel comfortable.

Good Luck.