Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New Egg, Firebox Wobble

JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
edited September 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,

You may remember recent post deciding between the Primo and the BGE.  Well I picked up the Large BGE last night and I'm hoping to fire it up tonight!  

I did notice that the firebox has a slight wobble.  I've seen some other posts about this, but I wanted to get some fresh input.  I stopped by the dealer and two of their 3 showroom eggs also had a wobble, but one didn't.  They told me not to worry about it, but of course I'm a bit picky and the wobble is an irritant.  I sent an e-mail to support asking if I should address this and I was hoping for some input from you.  I do need to pull the firebox and make sure it is actually the firebox and not the base of the egg.

So, any input on this?  If it is the firebox, should I try to get it switched?  Or, will this become a non-issue with use (ash, etc.)?  Can you sand or file the high spots?  What would you do?  

Thanks!

·

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKERSMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,358
    edited September 2011

I have seen this before, if you simply pull the firebox up against the front of the base it will take care of the wobble.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • 4Runner4Runner Posts: 1,957
    I put a small piece of gasket between my fire box and fire ring to stablize my fire ring wobble.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
    ·
  • SpoonSpoon Posts: 328
    Congrats on pulling the trigger on your EGG. You can still use it with a wobble, I guess it depends on how bad it is. To test if it's the fire box or the EGG base, take the fire box out and put it on a surface that you know is relatively level and see if the fire box wobbles there. You cam always take a measurement of the surface and the fire box with a level to see how far off it is.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
    ·
  • JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the input.  The ones at the store were definitely worse than mine, but I would certainly prefer no wobble at all.  

Will this gap affect cooking?  I've got some gasket material coming to help the seal with the daisy cap, so I could use some of that on the firebox-- assuming this won't affect cooking with air coming under through, etc., and that it is a good long term solution.

I haven't cooked on it yet, so I thought it would be better to address it now.  I'll remove it when I get home to make sure it is actually the firebox.

By the way, I did the thing of pulling it up to the front of the base, but it seems a bit rigged.  

Thanks!
    ·
  • JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
    Yeah, that's what my brother just told me--"nothing that a little ash won't fix".......
    ·
  • Well, blow me down.  I agree with Tweev, :))
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • Any team with Tweev is very stoppable....LOL

Just kidding Tweev.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • JasperJasper Posts: 378
    edited September 2011
    My box has a wobble.

I don't care - it works.
    That's what she said.... :-O