Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Demo Eggs

napiazzanapiazza Posts: 3
edited September 2011 in EGGtoberfest
Hey folks - first post and new to the BGE - I was planning on ordering one of the demo eggs they sell after Eggtoberfest.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  Seems like a good deal - but just wanted to make sure no one has had any glaring issues with this that might convince me to forgo the 2 hour drive to Atlanta and just spend a few extra hundred dollars on a brand new one!  

Comments

• Nope, that's a great idea.  You do know you need to reserve one, right?   You get a big discount and full warranty coverage, so it's definitely the way to go if you can work it out.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Demo Eggs are the Eggs that are used at those events, and are used once & then sold at the Eggtoberfest, as well as other, more localized "Egg Fests." 

They still come w/ the lifetime guarantee, which is WONDERFUL.  (FYI - buying a "used" Egg off of a place like Ebay or Craigslist essentially "voids" the lifetime warranty, as the warranty is NOT transferable). 

The only issue I can think of is that you will have to wait around for the Egg to cool down, as it has been cooking all day.  However, you may want to bring a nice metal bucket & small fireplace ash shovel to get the hot coals out?  (unless they already have a way of removing the coals & cooling them down - I don't know - anyone know if this is the case)????

Anyway, you should be able to get an Egg at a nice discount, so it should work out for you!!! 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • It is also worth noting that even Eggs sold by internet sites that appear to be legit dealers are not covered by the factory warranty.  You'd be dependant on that dealer doing it all for you.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Alright sounds like good advice - thanks!  Good idea with the shovel and metal bucket for the coals.  One other question for you guys:  I normally drive a two door car, so I'm trying to figure out my transportation plans.  I was planning on taking the family SUV (midsized, acura MDX) - I'm not too worried about getting the car dirty, but i think if I lay down the egg and separate the dome and body it should be able to fit - is that an adequately safe way of transporting it right after it's been used all day?  Or is it imperative to get a trailer or pickup (and I am the one person in Alabama who owns neither of those things!) out there to move it?

Thanks again y'all, look forward to seeing y'all up there next month!
  • if you can fit it in the vehicle, and it's cooled down enough that it won't melt the vinyl (I'm assuming you have vinyl seats) - then you should be fine.  Some folks actually set it upright in the seat & put the seat belt over it such that it looks like a rotund, green passenger
    :P
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • napiazza, why wouldn't it fit in the back?  Buy some bags of charcoal to use as padding and it should be ok.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I'd rent/borrow an appliance dolly and just put it in the back of the SUV, still strapped on the dolly.
  • tsheehan7tsheehan7 Posts: 105
    I have a demo egg and it was a great decision.  However, be aware that you have to wait in line for a LONG time to get your egg.  They line them up for pick-up, wait for them to cool, down, and then empty out the ashes. After that, they get the line started.  Last year I think I waited an hour and 45 minutes and I was about in the middle of the line.

It's not so hot that it will melt anything.  Remember, guys are picking them up bare-handed and loading them in your vehicle.  They're pretty well cooled down.
  • LitLit Posts: 6,690

They scoop them and cool them down before they let you pick them up. You won't need to take it apart just do what Naked whiz said and put the egg in a back corner of the suv standing up and put a 20 pound bag of charcoal on each side. The egg is pretty stable as long as you aren't a crazy driver. As stated be ready for a decent wait as they have a few eggs to scoop and cool.