Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Tomato Salsa

Options
MrClean111
MrClean111 Posts: 1
edited September 2011 in Forum List

Has anyone tried to roast the tomatoes, onions and peppers on their BGE? We want to make salsa. Would like some pointers.

Thanks!

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I did a couple weekends ago.  I used too much onion, and not enough pepper, but it was still great!  

I'd slice six tomatoes in half, just ONE onion, drizzle with oil, and place them face-down on the grill.  Add two to four chile peppers, and rotate until the skins are blackened, and place them separately in a baggie to steam/cool, and peel the skins; stem, and seed if you wish.  
    I tried a couple cloves of garlic on the grate too (with a toothpick to keep it from falling thru) but it blackened a bit too much, they need to be put on for just a few minutes.
    A bit of olive oil, fresh lime juice, and cilantro will round you out nicely.  The nice thing about salsa is its infinitely variable, but its really hard to make it actually "bad".  Enjoy experimenting!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month