Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Fianc'e and Egg combine to burn down garage.

MullyM3
MullyM3 Posts: 3
edited September 2011 in Forum List

Hi All

I have
been an egg owner for 9 years now and have been on this forum for just as long.
We have had some bad luck with our beloved egg. My fiance' fired up the egg a
few weeks ago before I got home from work so it would be ready to cook a
spatch-cocked chicken with some Dizzy Dust rub....yummo! Six minutes later the
garage was on fire with 30ft flames. The egg cart was 3 feet from garage entrance.My hand built 911 was in there along with
a med egg, motorcycle and brand new appliances to name a few things that were
to go to a new house we just built. Everything I have saved for the last 30yrs
was in there ready to move to the new house and now it is gone. Thank the lord
no one was injured. My insurance does not cover vehicles and they were all
uninsured at the time because the garage was so full of stuff to move I could
not drive them. My new Audi A3 was parked outside the garage with my Seadoo and
both are a total loss.The A3 had full coverage thank goodness. I could see smoke from the freeway driving home from
work and my heart sunk knowing it was in the direction of my house. Driving
closer I saw 30 people standing in front of my neighbors house and I could see
60ft flames coming from my garage.The only good thing is that Connie and my dog
were there and safe. I have cooked overnight hundreds of times with out issues. I now would never use any Egg or grill near anything flammable unattended ever again.Neighbors on each side have substantial damage along with the back of my house.My insurance say's they will not par for neighbors because I did not light the Egg, my fiance' did... :(

Anyway
the lessons I have learned are;

1) Never
let your fiance lite the Egg....(just teasing) ;)

2) When
the Egg is just getting going make sure it is attended.

3) Insure
all your vehicles even if they are being stored.

I have
pics and a video I shot with my phone but I'm not sure how to post them
anymore.

Keep on
smokin!

Mully911

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Holy Heck!  Glad no one got hurt, but that's a lot to lose!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• So sorry to hear your story.  Get a Lawyer regarding dealing with your insurance company, that is insane!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    insurance companies always back out of big claims, go talk to a good lawyer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    ouch, that hurts.... so sorry to hear... glad everyone was safe
    Kent Madison MS
  • Mully, to post the photos, all you have to do is  click on the "Attach a file" link at the bottom of the blue box when you post.  Your photo will be uploaded to the forum.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Thanks Whiz!

Here is some of the damage.

• glad to hear everyone is safe and sorry for your losses.   good luck with everything including the new home.

• Sorry to hear about this terrible loss!

Perhaps I and other can learn from this:
    What did your fiance light your egg?
    How do you suppose the garage started, sparks?

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Very scary stuff. 

As others have said, I really would talk to a lawyer about challenging your insurance companies ruling.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • Hi all
    Yes ,a spark from the egg must have come out the top and the wind
    Blew it into the garage onto a cardboard box containing a new refrigerator.
    All our new appliances were in there still in boxes and crates. Plenty of kindling.

Mully
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Similar thing happened to us years ago, except the garage was attached to the house :(  My cooker was 10 feet from the garage. Wind and fire bad.

Keep up on the insurance company. You've been paying your premiums for years, now they are working for you. Glad you folks are okay.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • If the fiance happens to have her own renters or homeowners she should have some liability coverage. 
    As others have said, its worth the cost to have a lawyer look at it regardless.
  • Mmully1,

Mind telling us where you are and what insurance company you are with?  

Contact lawyer, this would be like denying a claim when you are having a party at your house and someone turns on a light and that causing a fire.  This was clearly an accident and that is what insurance is for.  From what you have described I would doubt there is any negligence that occurred, fight the insurance company on this one.   In regards to the 911 Prosche if it was in the garage I would think it would be covered regardless as at the time it was part of a structure that is covered by the insurance.

Best of luck

• That is really scary. Glad no one was hurt. It now makes me concerned for my plans.

I'm new here and will be buying my egg soon. I'm building an outdoor kitchen and plan to have the egg and kitchen located just outside my covered patio. This thread now has me rethinking how far away from the patio I need to be. My patio is not enclosed; just covered with a 10' ceiling with open sides all around. The kitchen and egg will be located at least 3' outside of the patio ceiling footprint.

Will this be enough room for safety?

Our winds here in southwest Texas typically blow from north to south. My wife really wants the kitchen on the north side of the patio which means any smoke and embers will blow towards the patio area. Should I be concerned? I don't want to show her this thread or she'll never agree to an egg.

Is it common to have hot embers come out of the egg like a campfire?

Thanks.
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I seen flame shout out of the bottom vent of egg at a distance of about three feet. This was caused because of to much ash around the fire box and underneath and the fire was starving for oxygen and would cause it to do theses burps of flame thrower. Moral of the story always clean the ash after every two to three cook and never leave the BGE unattended. It also good to keep a fire Matt under the BGE stand!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com