Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Retrofit Large BGE w/screen

Options
YetiBob
YetiBob Posts: 65
edited August 2011 in Forum List

Hi Everyone!

I am rebuilding my egg table (pics to follow) and refurbishing my Large BGE (after 12 years it is time for a new table, gasket and complete cleaning. I cook on a wood deck and would really like to add a screen door to my lower vent. Has anyone done this yet? How hard is it to retrofit? What exactly did you buy?

THANKS!

Bob

In Maryland

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    You just want to buy the lower vent assembly. That may not be the official name, but the dealer will be able to figure it out. It comes as a package including bolts, so you do not have to worry about getting the right parts. I do not know if the holes match, but it should be easy to measure yours and compare to a new Egg at a dealer.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    You can buy just the screen and save a tidy sum. I retrofitted a couple of my larges and the small with no problem. You may have to pry open the channels a little with a flat screw driver if the two doors are too snug.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Interesting. I wanted the just the screen and the gave me the whole assembly. It was a warranty issue, so there was no charge in any case.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Sweet!
    Here's a question on the screen:  On both my Eggs, I can close the solid door in front of, and behind, the screen.  Is there a preferable way to do it, or does it not matter?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    With the screen installed in the rear, It can remain closed at all times and the door can adjust air flow. The tabs seem better set to work this way.
    Kent Madison MS
  • greychamp
    Options
    I bought just the screen for about $9.  The whole assembly coasts about $42.  I put the screen behind the sliding door, just as it is in the newer models that come with the screen.