Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food "Saviour"

Options
thebtls
thebtls Posts: 2,300
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I don't want to preach to the choir but my Foodsaver has really become more of a food - saviour in our freezer. We were never big on buying food ahead and freezing, why, because it always got freezer burnt. Tonight I'm cooking shrimp in the wok; our local grocery had a sale, so I purchased twice as much as I needed. Photobucket The trick I use for things like shirimp is I make the bags larger than I need. The reason is that these 60 count bags get used more than one time when there are just two of us, we might just thaw 20 pieces for a shrimp cocktail or to add to a casserole and that means we would have had to cut three bags, OR reseal the original bag three times...it saves at least 50% on the bags and works very well. Just a quick tip if you hadn't thought of that approach before. Photobucket Quoting the The FoodSaver® website their system "keeps food fresh up to 5x longer* than ordinary storage methods like zipper bags, foil, plastic wrap and containers." The reason is as we all know that "air is the enemy of freshness and primary cause of freezer burn and dehydration in foods stored in the freezer, refrigerator and pantry." Because these foodsavers don't trap air (they "lock it out") the chances of freezer burn are exponentially reduced. Disclaimer: I do not receive any compensation from or product from FoodSaver; I just love their products!
Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241