Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Food Safety Question..... Peanuts

BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

ok ok i know there have been enough food safety questions and food safety wars on this board to kill a canadian moose. but i have never seen anything about peanuts.

i love boiled peanuts. if you live outside the south you may not get the chance to have them unless you do them yourself. and i have had some really bad ones. so i figured out how to make them myself. and they are pretty good if i do say so myself.

i love them cold as opposed to most people who like them hot. well i make mine in a crock pot in the garage. then drain them in a collander. stick them in a ziplock and refrigerate them. i have seen them in ziplock bags sitting on a counter in gas stations.

my question is how long should they be good? i know dry peanuts have a long shelf life because of the drying. but boiled peanuts have got to be diffrent right?

thanks and i hope this thread doesn't turn ugly

happy eggin
tb

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus R Cobb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·

Comments

• rockytopscrockytopsc Posts: 856
    gross! haha
    ·
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    wow no email i wonder what i did wrong????

and ways i finaly had to go buy more coach's.. i finally figured a way to use it that is irreplaceable and that is on penuts :-j :-c

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • rockytopscrockytopsc Posts: 856
    never got an email?

Coach's is good on most stuff!  Boiled Pnuts just didn't do it for me.

FP said  a week in the Frig.
    ·
    tell her thanks!!

yea i thought i should have gotten a email with your response. not from you tho..

try making the penuts with coaches and salt 50-50 really good

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • Buckwoody EggerBuckwoody Egger Posts: 140
    edited August 2011

Hey @bente, ;+1 for storing in fridge up to a week per this link: 

http://www.ehow.com/how_5723450_store-raw-peanuts.html

I like them cold just as much.     :-bd

·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    edited August 2011
    I've had boiled peanuts exactly once in my life. I don't usually swear in public, so I'll refrain from explaining my reaction.  I have to think these were "good" (cough cough gag) boiled peanuts because they came from a little old lady who ran a B&B at the beach in North Carolina.  I don't know whether I disliked cold boiled peanuts more or if I disliked sucking the brains out of langostinos more.  Both tasted like salty filth to me.  Err, what was your question again?
    :))
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
    Both tasted like salty filth to me.  Err, what was your question again?
    Thanks Whiz... you have saved me from trying 2 things that many are telling me I should put on the list.   :)  I think I will move them back to the list with the medium rare warthog intestines I saw Anthony Bourdain eat last year.   :))  That would be the never try list.   [-X
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
    ·
    well whiz and juj you just maybe missing something really good

thanks for the link buckwoody

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·