Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Houston Area Eggers - Pete's Fine Meats

jbenny
jbenny Posts: 147
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Last weekend I helped a buddy smoke 2 10lb briskets for his wife's BDay party. Granted they were in his gas smoker and you can tell a difference, I'm here to tell you about where we got the briskets from. We went to Pete's Fine Meats off Richmond right past Post Oak. It is a little pricier than HEB but it was worth it. I asked for 2 left handed briskets and the butcher picked out to amazing briskets that bent like Fillets. He also knew what I meant by left handed briskets.

After we smoked them for 14-15 hrs they turned out as good as they possibly good without being done on an Egg. Pulled at 185 and rested for an hour. You could cut them with a fork, which made me proud.

This is now the only place I'll buy briskets from and will eventually try a Kobe brisket once I'm ready to spend 7.49 a lb.

Also, they have a fantastic selection of wood there.

Comments

• sbmfj
    sbmfj Posts: 37
    how much were they a pound? And what is a "left handed brisket"?
  • jbenny
    It was a little less than 4 a pound which is expensive when compared to grocery stores but well worth it.

A left handed brisket is one that when you hold the point towards you it curves to the right. I forget who the famous pitmaster who said it, but said that 90% of all cows lay down on their right sides and so use those muscles more to stand up which makes that side tougher than the left side.

Though it sounds silly, I believe it and only buy left handed briskets after reading that and trying it out multiple times.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255

And if you live on the north side of town or Conroe area Majkszak's Meat Market is a good one to go to.  He is aware of the 'left side' brisket story but kinda smiles when anyone asks if it's true.  My best brisket ever was one of his after cooking a bunch from Sam's Club with limited success.  I'm convinced that it was because it was good meat.

I know it's a good meat market because Lake Conroe Egger shops there.  (Yes Frank, the secret is out)

4900 W. Davis in Conroe (Hwy 105)

Spring "Good Briskets Make Good Briskets" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• jbenny
    They smiled at Pete's too, but I'm superstitious so I'll stick with it.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Give B&W Meat Market on N. Shepherd a try.  No matter what your request, they will do it.  Last time, I wanted flank steak cut super thin and put in 1 pound packages (for wok stir fry).  No problem.  Before that, I was buying beef knuckles for making beef stock and wanted them to cut the bones smaller.  No problem.  They also have lots of different kinds of link sausages.  

I'm sure a left handed brisket would be no problem.  :-)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255

Village Idiot - I think my neighbor's (Pam & Tom) brother-in-law's father works at B&W.  I'll find out. 

Small world.

Spring "Small World With Big Problems" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• jbenny
    The only reason i even tried Pete's is because it's on my way home from the office, we live in Katy.  I'm also a big fan of their sandwiches and if this B&W has those I'll for sure give it a shot.
  • Village Idiot
    if this B&W has those I'll for sure give it a shot.
    They don't sell sandwiches, but if you want good meat, great service, and good prices, you'll like them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• jbenny
    That's pretty far north for me.  What do they charge per pound on brisket and pork?
  • Village Idiot
    That's pretty far north for me.  What do they charge per pound on brisket and pork?
    (713) 697-2844

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Thanks guys for these suggestions. I too live in the Katy area, and while I have been shopping for briskets at HEB, I really have been looking for a good meat market that knows beef. There is a butcher shop in Katy, but he does not sell packer cuts, just the flats. I will have to check out B&W as well as Pete's.

Many thanks,

Doc