Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Slap n\' Dash Turkey Chili

ForniaFornia Posts: 451
IngredientsFresh:
48 oz.     Ground Turkey (browned)
1 T          Chopped Garlic

Frozen:
7 oz.       Frozen Diced Onion
10 oz.     Frozen Diced Green Pepper

Canned/Jar:
15.5 oz. Black-Eyed Peas (rinsed/drained)
15.5 oz. Kidney Beans (rinsed/drained)
15.5 oz. Great Northern Beans (rinsed/drained)
15.5 oz. Pinto Beans (rinsed/drained)
56 oz.    Petite Diced Tomatoes (with juice)
24oz.     Tomato Puree
28oz.     Chunky Crushed Tomatoes (I used ‘Furmano’s w/basil, garlic, and oregano’)      
1 jar       Heinz Chili Sauce
½ Can    Yuengling Lager (or beer of your choice)

Spices:
3 T          Ground Cumin
1-1/2 T   White Pepper
1-1/2 T   Garlic Powder
1 T          Ground Coriander
1 t           Ground Smoked Paprika
1 t           Ground Sweet Paprika
1 t           Ground Chipotle Pepper (optional)
1 t           Cocoa Powder (optional)
                Salt (to taste)InstructionsEgg setup Indirect with Platesetter (legs UP).  Ceramic BGE feet on platesetter, then Dutch Oven on BGE Ceramic feet.   350 dome.  Add wood chunks as you desire (with lid ‘off’ to help with smoky flavor).

Brown ground turkey, drain grease.  (I did this on stovetop, but can be done on BGE)

Combine all remaining ingredients in 7qt. (or larger) Cast Iron Dutch Oven.  Stir.

Add browned Turkey meat.  Stir.

I started with the ‘lid on’ for first 30 minutes, then ‘lid off’ for another  2 hrs or so.  Stir and keep an eye on things periodically.  If too thin, possibly remove lid to allow for evaporation. 

Serve as is, or over Rice; garnish your preferred combinations of shredded cheese, sour cream, and cilantro.  Enjoy!NotesNumber of Servings: 6 qtsTime to Prepare: 20-25min.

Comments

• HotchHotch Posts: 1,526
    Did you ever wonder what the last post was? #4776

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

• grege345grege345 Posts: 3,484
    They lost me with all the beans. Then they won me back with the lager.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• HotchHotch Posts: 1,526
    It is really a bean soup, not chili.

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans