Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Malnati\'s style deep dish pizza

Options
jazzman
jazzman Posts: 2
edited November -1 in Baking

Ingredients

Flour (75%)                   3 cups        407.85 g /
Semolina (25%)             ¾ cup         136.25 g
Water (47%)                  1 cup         255.58 g / 9.02 oz
ADY (0.70%)                  1  tsp         3.81 g    / 0.13 oz / 1.01 tsp / 0.34 TBSP
Salt (0.50%)                  ½ tsp          2.72 g   / 0.1 oz / 0.49 tsp / 0.16 TBSP
Olive Oil (6%)                 2 ½ TBS     32.63 g / 1.15 oz / 7.25 tsp / 2.42 TBSP
Corn Oil(18.5%)             ½ cup         100.6 g  /3.55 oz /7.45 TBSP/ .47 cups
Butter (1%)                    ½ TBSP     5.44 g  / 0.19 oz /1.15 tsp / 0.38 TBSP
Sugar (1.5%)                 2 tsp           8.16 g / 0.29 oz /2.05 tsp / 0.68 TBSP
Cream of Tartar (0.75%) 1 tsp            4.08 g / 0.14 oz /1.36 tsp / 0.45 TBSP
Total (175.95%)                            956.78 g / 33.75 oz / 2.11 lbs. / TF=0.126875

Instructions

Start by proofing the yeast in the cup of warm water, along with the sugar.  Let it sit a good 15 minutes.  Then mix the semolina, salt, and cream of tartar with the flour (I like to use bread flour), but withhold 1/2 cup of the flour.  Then add the water with the previously proofed ADY, mix with a wooden spoon and by hand, cover and let rest for around 25 minutes in a warm part of the kitchen.  Then add the rest of the flour along with the oil and the small amount of melted and cooled butter.  After kneading for a very short time (est. 2 min.), you may find that you need a teaspoon or two more of the flour, just enough to form a ball (the dough will be very oily - more than you think it should be - this is normal.  Most of the oil should be absorbed when you need in the additional flour and oil, but it's still very oily).  Then put the formed dough ball into a Ziploc bag and into the refrigerator for 24 hours. 

Take it out of the refrigerator the next day about 2 hours before baking, Roll out the dough ball and press into a pan lightly coated with Crisco.   Crimp or pinch the edges of the crust very hard to give the crust a nice real thin edge, as opposed to a thicker or fatter rim.   I then pre-bake the dough for 4 min (you don't have to - it's not in the original recipe, but I prefer it) I then put in a layer of sliced Mozzarella cheese, then added some provolone cheese pieces, then cooked sausage (Again, I prefer to pre-cook the sausage about 1/2 way to render some of the fat out- you don't have to ).   I then added some drained 6 in 1 sauce (important to use the “6-in-1” sauce, and important to drain first!) to which I added Italian spices, minced garlic, sea salt, and a good dash of honey (key ingredient - I use 2-3 Tablespoons) then I put  some  grated parmesan on top.

Have your egg at 450 degrees at the grate.  temp  is imortant, so make sure it's stable.  After 15 minutes I turned the pizza 180 degrees and continue to bake for about 10 minutes more. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Notes

Number of Servings: 6

Time to Prepare:

Comments