Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Beer and Cheese Soup

Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 5
Ingredients6 cups milk

2 12 Ozs Cans Beer, divided

1 40 Ozs Pkg Process cheese spread

1 10 Ozs Can Chicken broth

1 tsp worcestershire sauce

3 dashes hot sauce, or to taste

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch

garlic/onion croutons, for garnish

InstructionsCombine milk and 2 1/2 beer in large (min. 5-qt.) Dutch oven. Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly. Add cheese spread, broth, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly.
In small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining beer. Add to cheese mixture; simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened (do not boil).NotesRRP: When it says 40 Ozs Pkg Process cheese spread I assume that is the product commonly known as Cheese Whiz...or am I wrong? We have a local Irish restaurant that makes a great beer/cheese soup and just reading the ingredients makes me want to yell BINGO - bet that's a close enough start to matching their recipe!
Richard Fl: I have never made this recipe, but in previous cheese soup attempts I use Velvetta or some times some grated SHARP cheddar. Cheese Whiz probably would work like velvetta.

Editors Note: Let's get some folks to try this and hone it to be a great recipe, perfect for cold Winter days, IT SOUNDS SOOOO GOOD!
P.S. Do you think a roux could be used instead of cornstarch to add even more depth of flavor?Number of Servings: Makes 4 quartsTime to Prepare:
·

Comments

• rtt121rtt121 Posts: 644
    I think a roux would be great
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,285
    rtt121 said:
    I think a roux would be great

Or a Mornay.

Jesus Richard! Maybe you could get a Costco size jar of Cheeze Whiz and stick it in the microwave.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,252
    WOW - that's a flashback to 5 years ago. I vaguely recall asking Richard my question, but for some reason I never tried the recipe, but think I will now - at least a half recipe. Guess the reason is I have a realtor tasty and rich Cheese & Veggie soup that I make and freeze so I can enjoy it year around for lunch when I get the whim.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • rtt121rtt121 Posts: 644
    Lol
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    ·