Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Short Ribs

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in Beef

Ingredients

6 Lbs Beef, Short Ribs
3 Tbs lemon juice
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
3 Tbs honey
1 tsp cayenne pepper (red pepper)
1 tsp ground black pepper

Instructions

Setup:
Cook indirect using the plate setter, legs up, with the grill grate on top and an aluminum drip-pan underneath to catch the juices. Stabilize your BGE temp to 250 degrees. Use a Rib rack and put them in it with the bone side down.

Prep:
I trimmed the excess fat off the ribs and pulled the membrane off the bones with a knife after the marinade process was complete. I used Bad Byrons `Butt Rub` on them as well before placing them in the grill.

Cook:
Cook indirect at 250 degrees for 3.5 hours uncovered. Wrap in foil and then cook 1.5 hours more.

Results:
They were awesome!! I used Johnny Harris BBQ Sauce and Cattlemens Mustard BBQ sauce after cooking, adding it last and foiling them on the counter for about 20 minutes. Good luck!

Notes

Number of Servings: 2

Time to Prepare: 1 hour

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Boneless beef short ribs were on sale yesterday, so I picked up a package.  This was the only recipe I could find on the site, so gave it a try today.  Mine had no bones, and hence no membrane, and I didn't wrap them in foil at the end, but otherwise I followed this recipe as given.  
    Very tasty!  I think next time I'm going to try grilling the ribs over high heat, instead of smoking over low.  
    EDIT: I did take a pic, but it looked like a small black "thing" on the plate...  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Beef short ribs can be pretty tough when cooked over high heat.  I believe they are part of the chuck and usually are cooked with liquid or low and slow.  Please report back  if you have success over high heat.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback Shiff; since they're usually used in braises I wondered if they'd be too tough grilled.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• GadgetGeek
    Options
    @ Shiff---  Why would you want to cook them over high heat?

Mine are going on the Big Green Egg today at about 225º with some apple smoke (just a few hunks) for about 2 1/2 hours then going into a braising pan on the stove for another 1 1/2 hours to soften them up and give the gravy a chance to absorb that smoky taste.  Serving them with Brussels sprouts, and sweet potatoes (also on the BGE). I will check the meat at one hour in the braising pan to insure I am not making meat mush. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    @ Shiff---  Why would you want to cook them over high heat?
    I didn't want to cook them over high heat.  That was the question of the original poster.  I replied that they are usually cooked with liquid (like your plan)
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA