It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
1. Tie the onion pieces into a bag made with cheesecloth. Put aside for the moment.
2. In a large bowl measure the rye flour and water. Stir to mix. Sprinkle on the yeast and work it into the rye mixture. Add the caraway seeds.
3. When the mixture is thoroughly blended, push the onions down into the center of the sour. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and put aside overnight but no more than 24 hours.
4. Lift out the onions, scrape the sour off the cloth, and discard the onions.
5. The sour can now be used as part of the sponge in all sour rye breads. It can be refrigerated for later use.
Number of Servings: 8 cups
Time to Prepare: