Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcentric Pot Roast

Options
Jeff Farris
Jeff Farris Posts: 2
edited November -1 in Beef

Ingredients

Any Good Beef Roast (Chuck, Arm, Blade, etc.)
Dizzy Pig Cow Lick
One huge onion
A few potatoes
A couple of carrots
A few stalks of celery
A nice (but not too nice) bottle of cabernet
Some beef stock (your own or commercial)
Later you`ll need A couple tablespoons of butter
A few tablespoons of flour
A few mushrooms (optional)
Some horseradish (optional)

Instructions

Fire up your Egg and get a searing fire (550+) underway.

While the fire is getting its groove on, Take your roast (it`s been getting to room temp for an hour or so, right?) and coat it in a layer of Cow Lick. Do not be stingy. When you think you`ve shaken enough on, go over it twice more. Now, sear each side of the roast for about 4 minutes each. That time will be completely dependent on how much of an inferno you`ve created. Cut it down to 3ish if you`ve pegged your dome thermometer.

Once the roast has been seared, take it off and close the damper about half way (or a little more) and put the DFMT on with the gate barely open and the daisy petals barely open, too. While the fire is getting under control (shoot for 325 - 350), coarsely chop the onion, place the roast in a Dutch oven, toss in the onion, pour in some beef stock until the roast is half submerged, add some of the cabernet -- a generous bar serving or so, more if it is pedestrian, less if you really should be drinking it -- then come back with the beef stock until the roast is almost but not quite submerged.

Throw a couple of chunks of wood on the fire. On my last roast, I used white oak, and liked the effect very much. Let the chunks burn off the nasties for a couple minutes, make sure your temperature is where you want it (or just a little above) and then put the Dutch oven on the grate.

Maintain a temperature of 325 and check the level of your stock every half hour or so. Add more stock if it starts cooking off. The size of the roast will determine how long the cook is going to take, but as a very rough rule of thumb, think in terms of 40 minutes per pound of roast to final finish.

Just about an hour before final finish, add the potatoes in big chunks (I used redskins and quartered them) and the carrots and celery in mid-sized slices. Half way through the hour, put the lid on the Dutch oven. When the vegetables are done, take the roast out and let it rest and spoon the vegetables into a bowl.

Now in a sauce pan, melt a couple tablespoons of butter and (once melted) start whisking in some flour until you`ve created a light roux. When the roux is starting to move from ivory to tan, add some of the liquid from the Dutch oven. Keep whisking. Look for that perfect consistency, which only you can judge. If it is too thick, add more stock, if it is too thin, mix some stock and flour together and add it in. I`m lucky enough to have some morel mushrooms in the freezer and we just put up some horseradish. I chopped up half a dozen morels and added them and two heaping teaspoons of horseradish to the gravy. Any mushroom would work (just not as well as morels) and horseradish is one of those things that you either love or hate. Use your own judgement. One of the other recipes on the Egg web cook book suggests adding cloves of garlic in slits in the roast. I intended to do this, but forgot. I`ll try it next time. The gravy is not be overlooked. It really finishes the dish.

Notes

Merge of John Ross` BGE recipe and one from the Dizzy Pig site

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare:

Comments

• Cookinupnorth
    Options
    Hey Jeff

Makin this right now... Can I leave the roast on longer? Will it not just get better?
  • Cookinupnorth
    Options
    Btw...your recipe was awesome! Cheers
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    @upnorth  How did your roast turn out? Got any pics?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • eggo
    Options
    Did the Eggcentric pot roast today. Was good but not great. I think I may have cooked it a bit too long as it was a little on the dry side. It tasted very good, just a little dry.

Searing to final product.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • ajridge35
    ajridge35 Posts: 71
    Options
    Made the Eggcentric Pot Roast this past weekend. May have been some of the best pot roast I've ever had in my life. Thanks to Jeff Farris, if you're still around, for posting this nearly 3 and a half years ago. I made a few changes to it. I didn't have any wine so I didn't use it, and filled up my DO with water midway thru the cook. (maybe 2-3 cups worth?) I seasoned it with Slap Yo Momma's rub, since I don't have any Dizzy (yet). I didn't use celery either, just the potatoes cut up and a big bag of carrots. My four pounder took about 4 hours, and it was greatness. My only suggestion to eggo... fill it up with more beef stock? Mine was filled to the nearly tip top where you could BARELY see the remaining roast. That may have been cause for dryness?
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    @ eggo

Looks great.  Is that a Club Aluminum dutch oven?  My mom had those when I was a kid.  Brings back memories.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • eggo
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Yes it is a Club Aluminum DO. And it belonged to my mother many, many years ago. The logo is barely visible on the bottom.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Did the Eggcentric Pot Roast. Used Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks. It was outstanding! 3+lb roast took almost exactly 2 hours(40 mins/ lb) at 325-350 direct in 5 qt Dutch Oven, Jeff Farris, if you are still on line...thank you!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.