Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pumpkin Pie Baked in the Pumpkin

BobinFlaBobinFla Posts: 361
edited 6:21AM in Vegetables
Ingredients
• 1 Pumpkin, 5-7 pounds
• 6 Whole Eggs
• 1 pt Whipping Cream
• &#189 Cup Brown Sugar
• 1 Tbs Molasses
• &#189 tsp Freshly Grated Nutmeg
• 1 tsp Cinnamon
• &#188 tsp Ginger
• 2 Tbs Butter

InstructionsCut the lid off the pumpkin just as you would for a Jack-O’-Lantern.
Remove the seeds and save for toasting later.
Mix the remaining ingredients together with the exception of the butter. Fill the pumpkin with this mixture and top with the butter.
Cover with the pumpkin lid and place in a baking pan. Bake at 350° for 1-1½ hours, or until has set like a custard.
Serve from the pumpkin at your table, scraping some of the meat from the pumpkin with each serving.
This is an interesting substitution for the usual pumpkin pie.
NotesBOB’s Notes:
For the Q-Fest, I couldn’t find any 5-7 pound pumpkins, only 3-4 pounders, or 15 pounds and up.
I finally found the 12 pound pumpkin that I brought.
I knew 4 pounds wouldn’t be enough, and not knowing what would be cooking when, I didn’t know how much grill space would be available to cook 3 small pumpkins.
I forgot to bring nutmeg, so I substituted Allspice, and probably added more than ½ teaspoon.
Larger pumpkins cost much less per pound than the smaller “baking” pumpkins.
Be sure to double the recipe if you get a larger pumpkin.
I used double everything for the 12 # pumpkin.
If there is any left, I, personally think the pie is better after refrigeration
Don't quite fill the pumpkin, the custard expands and drips into the pan.Number of Servings: Time to Prepare:
·