Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ChefRD's BBQ Chili

Options
Gordon F. Weis
Gordon F. Weis Posts: 1
edited November -1 in Sides

Ingredients

• 2 lb round steak - Grind VERY coarse or cut in small pieces.• 1 can Rotel Tomatoes (any kind would work, so long as it has hot peppers mixed in)
• &#189 Cup olive oil• 1 can Pinto Beans (I use Pintos, but I know real chili aficionados don"t use ANY beans, but sometimes I use 2 cans
• 1 Cup chopped onion• 1 can Beer (whatever YOU like)
• 1 Tbs minced garlic• 1 tsp cayenne pepper (ground)
• &#188 Cup chili powder • 1 jalapeño pepper chopped, seeds and all. (Increase if you like it spicy)
• 1 tsp oregano (heaping)• &#189 tsp black pepper
• &#189 tsp paprika• &#189 tsp white Pepper
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp cumin (heaping)

Instructions

Brown the meat (not just gray) with half the onions and garlic in a Dutch oven on the stove, stirring often to keep the onions and garlic from burning. If it starts to stick, add more oil. Add the rest of the onion and garlic and all the rest of the ingredients until well mixed and it just starts to boil.
I put the pot in the Egg (at ~300*) on a pizza stone for about 2 hours stirring every 20-30 minutes until I'm confident it won't burn. Without the top on the pot, you will get some smoke flavor in the chili, but not much. I add a lump of hickory when placing the open pot in the Egg and it seems about right. You can experiment and find out what amount (if any) suits you.~I have the pot sitting on two firebricks (bottom wrapped in foil) and the temp at about 350 degrees. I used Mesquite chunks rather than the hickory only because I didn't have any hickory. After about 1 hour, I lowered the temp to ChefRD's suggested 300 degree mark.

Text in italics indicate a comment by Gordon F. Weis
You can add water to make it the consistency you like. (I prefer thick and chunky, but you do it like YOU like it.)
HINT: if you first wrap the bottom half of your Dutch oven in foil, then you won't have a hard time cleaning the smoke film off after it comes out of the Egg.

Notes

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare: