Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tuna

edited 3:50PM in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a great recipe for tuna steaks? I imagine I should sear like a regular steak but I am unsure about about time.
·

Comments

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Big Cat, ya'all hang loose as your gonna get swamped. I am no help as I have never grilled tuna..but there are some big guns here that have..Good luck
    C~W[p]

·
  • CatCat Posts: 556
    Big Cat,[p]Assuming you have sushi-quality tuna, get the steaks cut thick - say 2 inches - and sear for 4 minutes a side. A little longer if you don't want it raw in the middle...but tuna dries out very easily if overcooked, & it overcooks in a flash.[p]I love this recipe from the Jamisons' 'Born to Grill' - marinate the steaks for 1-4 hours in a mix of 1 T fresh lemon juice, 1 1/2 T vegetable oil, 1 1/2 tsp coarse-ground black pepper, 1/2 tsp coarse salt. Serve with horseradish cream: 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 T prepared horseradish, 2 tsp grated mild onion, 1/4 tsp coarse salt.[p]Little Cat

·
  • CatCat Posts: 556

Make that 1 1/2 tsp oil in the marinade.[p]Dang, C~W, it's catching!

·
  • Cat,[p]Thanks Cat sounds great. You haven't steered us wrong yet.
    We'll be giving it a try.[p]Big Cat

·
  • YBYB Posts: 3,861
    Big Cat,
    Here is a few you can try,i have been happy with most of the recipes from this site.
    YB

[ul][li]Tuna Recipes[/ul]
    ·
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Cat, yesh it is..and now who is the genius..Your fantastic!
    C~W[p]

·
  • GretlGretl Posts: 670
    Big Cat,
    Coat the raw tuna steak with ground pepper, Grains of Paradise, or sesame seeds or a combination. I sear it on a preheated dry skillet. The Grill Topper would work on the Egg. Just a few minutes per side, depending on the thickness. You want it pretty rare on the inside. It's just like filet mignon. Slice it thin, like London broil, and serve it on a bed of baby spinach, scallions, and sliced mushrooms with a dipping sauce made of soy sauce, wasabi, ginger, rice wine vinegar and a few drops of sesame oil. It is DIVINE. Have fun.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl

·