Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a simple meat seasoning

Options
Buckeye Fan
Buckeye Fan Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a cook this afternoon with a small 2.5 pound pork loin roast. I used a marinade for pork that I found somewhere it called for soy sauce, pineapple juice a little bourbon and some seasonings. It was OK the pork turned out good had a little crust on the outside but the taste of the marinade just didn't cut it for the wifey. Does anyone have a simple seasoning and real basic marinade you know kinda your go to method for pork, beef chicken. Heck I am thinking of just going back the basics of salt and pepper. I have several Dizzy Pig products right now just looking for a quick simple approach.

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments

• Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    for basics... it really depends on the type of meat, IMO. Some meats just have an affinity for flavors, you know?

pork = apple
    lamb = mint

etc.

aside from basic affinities, my standard rub always starts with freshly ground black peppercorns, kosher salt, and granulated garlic powder. More often than not, I will add in sweet paprika, and sometimes smoked paprika too. from there it depends on what I'm cooking and what flavor I'm after. But I really think you can't go wrong with pepper, salt, garlic, and paprika, plus the affinity of whatever meant you're cooking. :D
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Seems like I've seen something about pork and pineapple?

You've got soild info there. That base will get things started. I like to brine pork ( the leaner cuts), basic rubs, then a nice sauce. I found a recipe that used herbs and peach preserves. Serious BBQ was the name of it i think.
  • Buckeye Fan
    Options
    Rezen73

I will try your black pepper, kosher salt, granulated garlic mixture. Just looking for a basic recipe that might work for a couple of different kinds of meats. Something easy to put together for a cook. Still looking for mild marinade that doesn't over power the cut of meat.

Thanks