Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maiden Voyage

Options
SGI Fran
SGI Fran Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am firing up my Egg for the first time to cook a 4.5lb. Pork Butt (it's been rubbed and is waiting in the refrigerator). I have been reading various recipes and plan to cook it at 200 degrees until I get an internal temp of about 180.

Does that sound about right? About how long (cooking time)should I plan on that taking?

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Welcome

I'd suggest you bump temp higher than 200... 200 dome is only around 180 (or less) grid temp... on top of that, most Eggs struggle maintaining 200... no reason to go below 250... @ 250 you can plan around 1.5 hours per pound ... I'd go to 190-200 before pulling
    Kent Madison MS
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    I agree with BBQMaven. A dome temp of 200 is way too low for cooking a pork butt. Rule of thumb is 225 grate temp for butts, briskets or ribs. Others cook at higher temps for a shorter period of time and that's why it is only a guideline. Your grate temp is 20-25 degrees lower then dome temp. As the cooking time goes longer the temp difference between the dome and the grate diminishes.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    ^^ Those Guys ^^ are right about cooking and finish temps.

One thing about smaller butts, is that they can darken too early or they can begin to dry out before they are done. (or they might behave just like an 8 pound butt). After hour 6 or 7 if you don't like the looks of it, you can always wrap in a double layer of foil and finish cooking it tender that way.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • SGI Fran
    SGI Fran Posts: 4
    Options
    That is great information. Much appreciated, Guys, it is great to chat with people who know their BGE cooking.

I will run hotter, check periodically and get out the foil.

Thanks again.