Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

long smoke

semper fi shane
semper fi shane Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just currious as to what others are doing. I get the Egg up to 225, smoking temp, add my wood chips that were pre soaked, add place setter, grill and ribs. So the smoke runs for a while then dies out. What is everyone doing to add more wood to the lump? I was taking everything off and adding more wood and put everything back on..there's got to be an easier way, no?

Comments

• golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Not really an easier way to do it. Putting wood chunks in might give you longer and steady smoke. I also learned recently that you do not need to pre soak wood for low n slow cooks. Hope this helps. B)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    A. Do not soak chips. No need to do this in an egg since the limited oxygen supply prevents the chips from bursting into flame.
    B. Just because you can't see the smoke does not mean it is not there. The heavy smoke you see at first does not impart the best flavor anyway. Mix your chips throughout the lump and you will get a nice gentle smoke for the entire cook. This is going back to the oxygen supply thing again. I do not even put my meat on until that heavy early smoke is gone.
    C. 250 dome temp is usually a better temp to shoot for on most lo & slos. 250 dome will give you about 225 at the cooking grid.
    D. Remember, the EGG knows what it is doing, the less you open it and mess with stuff, the better your food will be :):)
    Have fun and enjoy your food! :cheer:
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    I'd raise the temperature to at least 250-275. Maybe even 300, but that might be me. :woohoo:

I wouldn't soak, and I'd use chunks instead of chips. Soaking can cause a creasote-like taste to the meat. You don't need to see the smoke for it to be there.

Read Capt. Frank's reply. He said basically the same thing I did, but I think he might have been a little nicer about it. :unsure:

BOB
  • Capt Frank
    There is a definite learning curve, not sure about ever getting out of it but that is part of the fun. That and sharing what we have picked up along the way.
    Nice!! Not me, I'm the guy that told a newbie to shut up!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    Frank,

You've been pretty nice to this "Newbie." How about getting together for a late breakfast (9:30 or 10) next week. Lunch usually isn't good with having to run the restaurants unless you would want to meet around 2:30!
  • Capt Frank
    Sure, that sounds fine with me, just let me know where. :):)
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    I agree with.Capt. frank

I have on my photo website listed below, pictures on how I load my Egg for a long cook

This has worked every time for me and the meat has a nice clean smoke flavor

I never soak the chunks or chips
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    I agree with.Capt. frank

I have on my photo website listed below, pictures on how I load my Egg for a long cook

This has worked every time for me and the meat has a nice clean smoke flavor

I never soak the chunks or chips
  • thanks for the tips. butt is rubbed and on the egg. see you at noon tomorrow!