Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No longer a Skeptic

clweed
clweed Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was still a little hesitant about spending that kind of money for a “Charcoal Grill” yesterday from the fine folks at Chim-Chimneys in League City, Tx. They assured me that I would be happy with the large Big Green Egg, if not return it for a full refund, I couldn’t pass up that offer.[p]I brought it home and fired it up to play with the temp control just to see how easy this thing really was.
After I realized that I really could control the temp. I decided to put on a 10 lb. Pork Butt about 8:00. After checking the temp about every 20 minutes for the first 3 1/2 hours( I couldn’t resist) I figured that it was time to go to bed. I checked it again at 4:30 still holding at 220 amazing!, At 6:30 the temp was about 215 and I opened it up for the first time to check the meat and stir up the coals a bit. The meat temp was 155.[p]I guess what I’m trying to say is this thing really works and it won’t be going back :)[p]Now I have a New Braunsfels Smoker, Water smoker and a charcoal grill to get rid of.[p]Thanks again to the staff at Chim-Chimneys and the members of this forum.[p]
Lee[p]

Comments

• clweed,
    wow, starting right off with an overnighter is quite ambitious. .. glad it is all working out for you. ..you'll have to tell us how that butt turned out when its all done. .. one thing you mention though is "stirring the coals". . ..you shouldn't need to stir the coals at all, even during a 24 hour cook. .. me thinks you may have read the directions and only put in lump to the top of the fire box. . .for long cooks, you should fill that egg up about halfway up the fire ring itself. ..that will burn in the 250 range easily for 24 hours without every having to do anything. . .. [p]again, good luck, and welcome to the forum. ..

• clweed
    clweed Posts: 70
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]The coals could have gone untouched, But old habits are hard to break :)[p]
    Lee

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    clweed,[p]Thanks for the story. I think there are many of us who have had similar experiences. After a while, you will wonder why you took so long to try it and why other people are so skeptical. Have fun with it and good eatin'[p]Smokey
  • clweed,
    LOL. .. . hardest thing to learn about egging is to leave that dome closed for long periods . . .it goes against all our instincts to watch our food cook. .. sounds like you are on your way though. .. good stuff

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    clweed,
    welcome to the forum and welcome to the Cult of the Big Green Egg. This forum is the place to be if you have a question and the place to be to help others enjoy the taste of really good food from the fires.

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    clweed,
    Welcome to the family. It's great to hear your success story early on. As for the old grills &smokers, consider them tool holders for your new toy![p]Being new, you may want to check out The Naked Whiz's website and read about flashback. Flashback is serious and dangerous.[p]Banker John

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    clweed,[p]I bought my large from Chim-Chimneys in League City about a year ago I never looked back. We just love it and use it all the time. You can cook just about anything on it except hamburgers. The best is steaks however and brisket (IMHO).[p]For the ultmate control get yourself a BBQ Guru. You can set back and let it do all the work and get a good nights sleep.[p]If you can get away be sure and attend the Texas Eggfest in Austin in about two weeks, You can really learn a lot and it's all free. Think of it as a mini cooking school.[p]Welcome to the wonderful world of the Big Green Egg. We live in League City so if you need some help let me know.[p]Regards
    Stubby Q

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    StubbyQ,
    hold on there, my wife is a burger master with the egg. i been hearing that a few people have trouble trying to perfect this but i guess i don't have that trouble or that high of standard. but, the egg still does a very good on hamburgers.[p]Scott

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    eggor,
    I have to agree...not sure what else does a better burger...well maybe a fry pan, but that is a different animal all together.

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    StubbyQ,
    Why except burgers? We love the burgers from the egg. Had 'em last night. We do them real slow like 225degrees for an hour -- direct on a raised grill. These were half pounders with diced onion and cheese mixed in. They came off at 155 degrees internal. Were juicy and flavorful including a nice smoke flavor from the oak chips I mixed in wih the lump.
    Dave

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    clweed,
    Welcome to the fold. Don't rush clearing out all your other cookers just yet thouqh. You never know when your Egg might need some backup, whether your cooking for a large group, or if the Egg is busy with tommorrow's pulled pork and you want a grilled steak now, or if you ever want to get into a cook-off and want the extra capacity. Figure which ones might actually get some use and hold on to em long enough to see if they come in handy.[p]Congats & Cheers,
    C~Q

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    StubbyQ,
    that was meant to be a joke about hamburgers - right? I'll put my egged hamburgers in a contest (if there was such a thing) any old day and I'd rank high! Maybe you're using too lean of meat and are burning at a high temp? I used to sear my burgers, but not anymore and whatever you do don't take a spatula and flatten them!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    clweed, welcome! You're certainly a little faster than I was. It took me about two weeks to figure out how easy it was to control the temperature. The thing that hooked me was seeing how moist the meat was even though I had overcooked it.

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    RRP,
    OK, you guys need to get a grip. It was a joke alright. At least it got a rise out of y'all. The BGE doesn't do notin' bad.I love it all. Come on now and lighten up.