Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp got too Hot

Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing pulled pork but fell asleep and the temp went to 350. How can I bring it down?

Comments

• Mark0525
    Been reading about it and I guess I can only wait for it to go down. I feel like suck a rookie :(
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    if your going to be around during the cook i would just put the butt in and start lowering the temp at the same time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    350 won't ruin the pork. It will get done sooner, and the bark may be a little burnt.

If you have a drip pan, pour a bunch pf cold liquid in.

While I don't really recommend doing it, I have spritzed the coals to bring down the temperature. I suppose there is a small chance it would stress the ceramic, but I did once spill most of 2 cups of mop liquid in a burning Egg, and nothing came of it.
  • Mark0525
    Thank you. I was able to bring the temp down to 250. Hope it stays that way. I had to leave for work. I just can't believe I let that happen to me. I've done a ton of these and never let this happen before.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Spritz the lump with a little H20. It will set the fire back, but not put it out. And yes, add some cold liquid to the drip pan. This happened to me before when I let the EGG get too hot before a long & slow cook..
  • I did the same thing the other night (stayed at 350 for about 4 hours before I noticed) and the butts finished before I could get the temp down. 6 hours total for 2 8lb butts. I did a little write-up on it here.
  • Hi Mark,

Here's another 'newbie' error - last night I cooked on the egg for maybe the 12th time since I bought it three weeks ago so I thought it would be safe to let the temperature go way up high. I put the searing griddle on and let it go right up to 650 degrees or so and stay that way for 40 minutes before I put the steaks on.

When I tried to open up the egg it was 'welded' shut - I'd basically melted the gasket and it had fused the lid shut! Had to let it cool down for 30 mins before I could open it again...

Beware - don't make the mistake I made :laugh:
  • Mark0525
    Wow that is bad :) I've cooked a lot on my egg and this is the first time the temp go away from me. It's cooking great and is at 178 and has plateaued there for awhile. Dome temp is at 255 and holding. Thanks everyone for the comments. Live and learn :)