Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Underbite Update- sort of

Options
Egglectic
Egglectic Posts: 95
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    If you place the dome on top of the base, is there any variance, or do they match up? I mean with no bands installed at all. It seems strange that a whole lot of them would be off like that. If you measure several diameter measurements on the dome and base, are they significantly off?

I hope it works out for you soon.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Wondering if the distributor has a batch of ill fitting/shaped base to dome cast eggs. Hence 'all' might be have the same issue.

The small and mini eggs have thinner walls and a 1/4" off size is 50% miss-match. I am not sure if I would be too concerned about a 1/8" offset, of course that is your call. The eggs are not cheap and should have a proper match. As I recall you other small had a 1/4" offset.

As I recall you folks or the dealer had checked the match with the bands off, but if not, do as cookingdude555 mentioned above.

GG
  • cherokeer
    cherokeer Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm trying to put together a small right now. The top and bottom match but when the hinge is put on it pulls over some. There is only one spring on the hinge mechanism which might is the side that it gets pulled towards. Do all the smalls only have 1 tension spring?
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I just got my small a week ago and it has one spring. When I first assembled it there was a slight under bite so I took it apart and started over after verifying the top and bottom matched, which they did.

The second time I took my time and followed the instructions to a tee and everything came together perfectly.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

My small has one spring.

Here is something BGE service sent to me... possibly it will be of help to you. This was regarding a medium/large.

At times the bands need a little adjustment.

Carriage bolts that tighten the bands down onto the grill at times not tight enough, this will cause a little slack in the bands which give the spring assembly a little play. What happens is the springs try to open the dome but they are not strong enough to do it.....they can pull the dome up in the back area. If the spring assembly opens a little it will cause the dome to pull in the back and the only place the dome will actually touch is the front. This is the most common problem the eggs have.

To reset:
    1.) Have someone hold the dome open for you
    2.) With a set of locking pliers clamp on the top of the spring and pull the spring up and off the assembly.
    3.) Once both springs are off (large egg) carefully close the dome
    4.) Loosen the carriage bolt on the dome band and remove the dome
    5.) If replacing the gaskets, remove and replace the gasket as per instructions.
    6.) Now the important part....when you put the dome back on tighten the carriage bolts until the bend away from the grill. Don't worry you will not break the ceramics.
    7.) Have someone open the dome while you put the springs back on.

What you just did is reset the timing on the spring assembly.

• Egglectic
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    On my medium, this worked for me and was a little easier that grandpas method of removing the spring-

1. Loosen the bands
    2. Align the top and bottom
    3. Set the bands at the distance they naturally fall to. Look at the seperation at the hinge for guidance.
    4. Tighten bands, maintaining the spacing.

The mistake I made when I first put it together is trying to push the bands all the way up and down to the ridge in the ceramic. If they are aligned and spaced properly it seems like everything fits better.

5754658883_8c49127e29.jpg
  • Egglectic
    edited August 2011
    Options
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Not my method - BGE Service Center's method.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

You can't correct a mis-match between the dome and base. If you bands are not seated make sure there is no ceramic clicking or metal clicking sound when you close the dome.

If the bands are clicking be cautious about the dome falling out of the bands or the dome & bands come off of the egg base. That type of problem is not covered under warranty.

Just something to think about.